cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MS Word track changes visible in uploaded files

MS Word track changes visible in uploaded files

Wordrafter
New member | Level 2

I have edited MS word documents on my computer using Review/track changes. The files are saved with Review/Markup off. When I upload these files to a dropbox folder (shared), they display a track changes/markup view. When I permanently delete these files and try uploading them again, the markup view again appears. How do I upload the files to Dropbox (web, not app) without markup edits displaying, i.e. clean edited copy?

17 Replies 17

JoolzM
Explorer | Level 3

No need to apologise Hannah; it is kind of you to offer your assistance.

I tried using Edge, but the problem persists;  I do not think that the type of browser being used is an issue though, because I experience the same problem with the Android App.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, @JoolzM!

Do you mind sending over a few screenshots of what you see on your end, so that we may have a visual?

Thanks.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JoolzM
Explorer | Level 3

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you Hannah (I have been unwell).

I have attached a screenshot below.

JoolzM_0-1684845718050.png

Thank you for your ongoing assistance.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JoolzM, sorry to jump in, but I was wondering if you're still having issues with this.

If so, could we reach out via email to have a further look internally?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JoolzM
Explorer | Level 3

No need to apologise Walter; it is good of you to help.

Yes, I am still having issues with tracked changes showing; you are welcome to email me.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @JoolzM, I've sent you an email, please could you reply to it when you get a chance.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dwilk720
New member | Level 2

I've had the same issue for some time now, and the only fix I can find is:
1. In MS Word document, click Review
2. In the Changes section, click on the Accept button (part with the down arrow)
3. Then click the last item, Accept All Changes and Stop Tracking (only do this if you actually accept all the changes though!)
4. Re-upload the document to Dropbox

Screenshot_2.png

tlcoles
New member | Level 2

Incorrect.

After "Accept All Changes and Stop Tracking," I uploaded the document. Dropbox persists in showing the tracked changes. I tried deleting and uploading the file again. Nope. Since I could not permanently delete the file in the shared folder, I saved the document again with another name and uploaded that. Only then did it show the current version of the document (i.e.. with all tracked changes accepted).

There are two things here:

1. That Dropbox shows tracked changes AFTER the document says that all changes have have been accepted and that it is no longer tracking them. If the document had any tracked changes before it was turned off, it considers them turned on.

2. It appears to be that Dropbox is not accepting a re-upload of the document with the same name. Rather, it says "oh, we have that document already" and fishes the other version from the delete pile, thus showing the document with the tracked changes. Only permanently deleting that file (as another user suggested) or reuploading with another name seems to make the differerence.

Need more support?