cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to keep my desktop folder files available in Dropbox (not as a Backup but as synced)?

Is it possible to keep my desktop folder files available in Dropbox (not as a Backup but as synced)?

EC1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Before the most recent major update (like a year ago, I'm not sure), I had the location of my Dropbox folder as the desktop folder of my computer. That made it so I could use the desktop to have clear visual representation of the files I was actively working on. After the update, something went wrong, and I was having trouble finding files. I eventually resolved the issue (it involved deleting an extra desktop folder that had been created somewhere), but now my Dropbox location is in a different location (users folder under my username). 

I want to be able to view the desktop folder of Computer A and on my phone, Dropbox on the Web, or my Computer B should I ever get one. I know there are options for Backup, but I don't think that serves my purpose of needing ready access to those synched files on my other devices or the web.

Should I try moving the location of the Dropbox folder to the desktop? Or will that cause other problems? Or is there another solution?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you’re now using the updated version of Dropbox Backup, I’m afraid that’s not possible. I’m also linking a thread with a similar request to which you can find more details. 

Let me know if you have any further questions after that, though.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @EC1, thanks for posting here today. 

Can you clarify what you mean when saying you had the location of your Dropbox folder as the desktop folder of your computer? Had you moved your Desktop folder within the local Dropbox folder perhaps? 

If you use the updated Dropbox Backup feature now, then all backups will only be accessible via www.dropbox.com indeed (you can see more info here). 

However, do you wish to move again your computer files within Dropbox instead and have them sync like the rest of your files? 

Let me know, and we can go from there.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

EC1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I may have designated the Dropbox folder to be in my user folder so it would contain my desktop folder. But I may have designated the dropbox folder to be the desktop folder. I don't remember. I just remember that my desktop folder was easily found on the web version of Dropbox and in the mobile app along with all my other synced files.

I see that I can access my desktop folder in the backups section in the web version of Dropbox, but is there any way to adjust settings so that I can access my desktop files in the app along with my synced files? 

Otherwise I guess I'll have to use a mobile browser to access my desktop files, which seems kind of strange to have to do when there's an app.

I know most people would just use the dropbox folder to house files being worked on so that they can be easily synced, but I like the visual reminders of seeing my most active files on my desktop.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you’re now using the updated version of Dropbox Backup, I’m afraid that’s not possible. I’m also linking a thread with a similar request to which you can find more details. 

Let me know if you have any further questions after that, though.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    EC1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?