cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Incorrect data transfer prediction

Incorrect data transfer prediction

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

Hi everyone, I'm moving hundreds of gigabytes to DropBox. However, from what I see on the top bar of DropBox on my Mac, the calculation of the amount of data to move is happening slowly. To clarify, I have been seeing roughly the same time estimate for completion since this afternoon. However, it's like DropBox keeps finding new files to upload, so it updates the estimated upload time as it goes. The problem is that this way, I can't get a clear idea of how much time it will actually take to transfer all the data. Why is this happening? How can I solve it? Thank you.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 alle 01.21.30.jpg

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @cloudres, let's jump right into this! 

Keep in mind, that the syncing time you see when checking the app's syncing status, is an "instant" estimate based on the current upload speed. This value can change if you check the value just a few seconds later.

If the sync time is large then you need to remember to stay logged into your computer and to keep that computer turned on and connected to the Internet. 

You also mentioned it's rather slow: have you tried to change the app's bandwidth using these steps? If you change the bandwidth settings and Dropbox still doesn't seem to be making progress over the next few hours please let me know.

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly because your response seems a bit off-topic. The problem is that the time estimate given by DropBox is not accurate. Perhaps it says that DropBox will finish syncing in 10 minutes, but it's not true. I still see a lot of files and the time it takes is much, much longer. The syncing hasn't even finished since yesterday... just to give you an idea. The speed of my connection has nothing to do with it. For example, I've now set the maximum speed to 10 MB/s per second, and it tells me it will finish in 4 minutes, but that's not the case. It will definitely take longer.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 alle 09.57.03.jpg

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @cloudres, this numerical estimate appears to be correct, assuming you have a fixed rate (with nothing else affecting the connection), then it would be possible to sync 2.4 GB in 4 minutes at 10 MB/s. 

If it turns out to be longer than that, then your internet connection is being affected by usage elsewhere on your machine or the local network. The app can only make an estimate based on how much bandwidth is available to it at the time, and can't make a 100% accurate guess, since numerous other apps or machines could use up the internet bandwidth elsewhere.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

I decided to run a new test because the given solution didn't convince me. So I moved 200 GB onto my hard disk, currently loading onto DropBox at a fixed rate of 2 MB/s (with limitations). The DropBox app tells me it will take 3 hours. However, after doing a quick calculation, it seems that it should take over a week for 200 GB at a fixed rate of 2 MB/s. It's clear to me that the predictive calculation is fundamentally flawed. Maybe, and I say maybe, the DropBox app doesn't scan all new files to be synced immediately, but over time. Therefore, that predictive calculation is necessarily based on a false, provisional premise. But then, what is the point of proposing an upload time that won't be respected? Bear in mind that I've been uploading several gigabytes to DropBox for days, gradually emptying my physical hard disks and uploading everything online. So I'm not making these observations up; they're the result of my direct experience.

dragonvideoeditor1
New member | Level 2

I am also having this issue! I began uploading a 30GB file at 10PM and it did not finish until around 10AM. However, the estimated time at the beginning of the upload was 55 minutes, and when I checked on it at 9AM, it said two minutes. I routinely have this same issue.

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

I added to my DropBox space on my Mac about 60 GB to transfer online. This is the result after 5 minutes ðŸ˜‚

Screenshot 2023-07-01 alle 19.43.51.jpg

Need more support?