cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My files don't always to my online Dropbox account, even when the app says it's up to date.

My files don't always to my online Dropbox account, even when the app says it's up to date.

TomFuller
Helpful | Level 7

On my Macbook M1 Pro, I add files to the local hard drive, but they do not always appear on my Internet dropbox account or on my iPhone. Sometimes I "touch" them with a slight modification, and that gets them to sync, but even this does guarantee that they will appear on my account or iPhone. 

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II

What does Dropbox say if you mouse over its icon? Are the files stored in Dropbox on a local drive with no symlinks etc.?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

TomFuller
Helpful | Level 7

It says "up to date" and it will do so even when some files are missing. 

I just learned a new word today "symlink." I don't think I've ever done such a thing. How can I check?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @TomFuller - could you clarify your device's OS version and the version and status of the Dropbox desktop app as shown in your menu bar?

As for checking for symlinks on your device, you can find out more with an internet search. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

TomFuller
Helpful | Level 7

MacOS: Sonoma 14.6.1

Dropbox: 207.4.5821

And I do not use symbolic links, internal or external. But I would still like to be sure that all my ~quarter million files made it to the Dropbox cloud. 

Thanks!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@TomFuller, out of curiosity, have you tried reinstalling the Dropbox app, since the issue emerged? I’d like to see if that’ll help at all.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TomFuller
Helpful | Level 7

I have not. I'll try that. BTW, I have Parallels on my Mac as I work in both Mac and Windows. When I last installed Dropbox (18 months ago), there was no Dropbox version that would run in the Windows virtual machine (because my MacBook M1 Pro has Apple silicon). Is there now a version that can do so? (I just run Dropbox under MacOS but would like to have it in both environments.)    Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @TomFuller, the Dropbox desktop application now supports ARM processors, so the program should run in the VM.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TomFuller
Helpful | Level 7

Ah. Good news. Thanks!!

TomFuller
Helpful | Level 7

As to the question of missing files, I have re-installed Dropbox and will just have to watch for missing files. Until recently I had a very limited Dropbox account (~ 5gb), so there were only a few thousand files. Now I have a 3 tb account and something like a quarter million files. It will be hard to see if one is missing. That's why I raised this query.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TomFuller Helpful | Level 7
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?