cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I tried to move some folders back to Dropbox and they got corrupted during the process.

I tried to move some folders back to Dropbox and they got corrupted during the process.

MariaRATX
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I moved 2 subfolders from a shared dropbox folder to a folder on my desktop. Not long after, I moved them back to the dropbox shared folder and trashed the desktop folder. I did not turn off my laptop but instead, I just closed it. This was around 7pm 9/18/24. At 6am this morn, they did not appear in the shared dropbox folder when viewing in the app or online. Sync status shows up-to-date. So I went to trash bin and retrieved the deleted folder and put it back on my desktop. Those subfolders I tried to move back into shared dropbox folder appear gray. When I click on them I get a message: Keep Resumable Copy. You can keep a resumable copy and reconnect “Macintosh HD” to finish copying, or stop the process and keep a partial copy. My laptop appears to be "connected" as I can get into my other dropbox folders.  I've left my laptop on - did not close it tho the screen saver came on. Now, at 10am, those subfolders are still gray, giving the same message when I click on them. How can I retrieve these? I see no phone or chat support 😭 I did a ton of in these folders!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

MariaRATX
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

UPDATE! Problem solved via tech support which I found. My Dropbox expertise deficiency! I didn't know that if I deleted the folders from the desktop of my laptop . . . they also are deleted from Dropbox as well and so support led me to my trash in Dropbox and there were the dang folders! THANK GOD! So I hope someone else sees this and benefits from my pain. Thank you Nancy for initially responding to me here. Problem solved. Cheers all! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @MariaRATX! Thanks for your post.

Can you clarify what you mean when saying you didn’t turn off your laptop, but closed it instead? Did you put it in sleep mode perhaps? 

Was your computer still in the process of moving those folders over to Dropbox when you did this? Can you send me a screenshot of how the subfolders appear now and of the message you keep getting? 

We’ll go from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MariaRATX
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Nancy, Thanks for responding!  I mean that I did not shut my laptop down. I just closed the lid which puts it to sleep. I do think it's possible that those folders were still in the process of moving to dropbox when I did it. 1st snapshot is current appearance of folders. 2nd one is of the message I got when I clicked on them early this morn. 3rd one is of the current message I get when I click on them.

Folder w-grayed folders.png

Keep Resumable Copy 1st 2024-09-19 at 5.45.29 AM.png

Keep Resumable Copy 2nd 2024-09-19 at 10.02.12 AM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MariaRATX, thanks for the info, I'd recommend contacting the support team for them to assist further on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MariaRATX
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

UPDATE! Problem solved via tech support which I found. My Dropbox expertise deficiency! I didn't know that if I deleted the folders from the desktop of my laptop . . . they also are deleted from Dropbox as well and so support led me to my trash in Dropbox and there were the dang folders! THANK GOD! So I hope someone else sees this and benefits from my pain. Thank you Nancy for initially responding to me here. Problem solved. Cheers all! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MariaRATX New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?