cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I told Dropbox to not backup an external drive; now I've changed my mind

I told Dropbox to not backup an external drive; now I've changed my mind

sixstringbuzz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The subject pretty much says it all! I'm on a Mac and I connected an external drive (formatted HFS+). A popup came up asking if I wanted to backup this drive to Dropbox and I said no. Now I'd like to explore that service but I can't figure out how to turn backup on for this drive now that I've dismissed the popup. 

Is there a way to turn backup on for this drive other than reformatting it?

64 Replies 64

GreatLand1959
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
And the file should be copy to the root of the drive you’re wanting to back up. NOT ./Dropbox/

LagerFan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well I've still had no luck with this but I did solve one mystery. The reason the reformat option wasn't working in my case was because I formatted my USB as an encrypted external drive ... so I guess that's another big limitation here, i.e. no support for encrypted external drives?

GreatLand1959
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I guess there is *SOME* Logic behind not backing up encrypted drives, but I would thought a better option would have been to give the user the choice, not presume to make it for them.

magino50
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Also looking for a solution of this, has anyone came forward?

I have an external disk where I once said that I dont want to back it up, but now I changed my mind.

How to reset the Dropbox notification and make it back up my hard disk?

biketocamp
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

same issue. is there really no way to reset this list of drives that one chose to not backup, but would now like to backup?

lyndallm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

Following up on this thread as its marked as solved but  it isn't actually a fix. I am not willing to buy a second hard drive just to copy the contents across and then back - and no one else in this thread has been able to get any answers either.

Can you please clarify how to make the pop up reappear?

isabellarodriguez
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I had a backup that started to have some issues and deleted it. I've now decided to do a new one but when I connect my external hard drive to my Macbook, there's no dialog box suggesting to do a backup. I've tried reconnecting the drive multiple times, reinstalling the DP app, but none of these things have worked so far. Is there any other way I can do a backup without depending on that dialog box? Or is there any way to do the backup? 

isabellarodriguez
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I had a backup that started to have some issues and deleted it. I've now decided to do a new one but when I connect my external hard drive to my Macbook, there's no dialog box suggesting to do a backup. I've tried reconnecting the drive multiple times, reinstalling the DP app, but none of these things have worked so far. Is there any other way I can do a backup without depending on that dialog box? Or is there any way to do the backup? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey all, happy Friday! 

If anyone is still facing this, Have you checked if the app is running on your end? 

Also, feel free to share with me the storage of the external drive and the space it occupies. 

Let me know more, and I'll be happy to get back to each and every one of you.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lyndallm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi Megan,
The app is definitely running as my whole computer is backed up and there is more than enough storage space. The issue is that the dialog box doesn’t reappear after the very first time it popped up to allow me to configure external back up - not a sync issue. I just don’t even have the option to set up sync.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

hello_box11 Explorer | Level 4
    rmschne Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    tomayko Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?