cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I told Dropbox to not backup an external drive; now I've changed my mind

I told Dropbox to not backup an external drive; now I've changed my mind

sixstringbuzz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The subject pretty much says it all! I'm on a Mac and I connected an external drive (formatted HFS+). A popup came up asking if I wanted to backup this drive to Dropbox and I said no. Now I'd like to explore that service but I can't figure out how to turn backup on for this drive now that I've dismissed the popup. 

Is there a way to turn backup on for this drive other than reformatting it?

64 Replies 64

hello_box11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
The preference > backup > manage backup page should be able to let the user re-select the backup after the initial choice.

tomayko
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Any update on this? I'm having the same issue on my mac. 

hello_box11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
The preference > backup > manage backup page should be able to let the user re-select the backup after the initial choice.

barrymcw
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have the same issue, and have tried most of the solutions in the thread and none of them have helped. I still don't see the hard drive available to be backed up. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @barrymcw, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you try resetting the File System Warning options and unplug and re-plug this drive into your computer? 

To bring up the button I mentioned, please navigate to the desktop app's preferences in the Account tab and press alt+H (for Windows) or the space bar (for Macs). 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

obara
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I have the same issue and nothing works. I formatted the drive, uninstalled the dropbox app ( deep cleaning). Still I can't backup of external hard drive. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @obara, thanks for posting this here. 

Just to be on the same page, have you checked both your Backup page and the Backups tab of your desktop app preferences, and you’re unable to back up your external drive from there?

Also, can you let me know what’s the format/type of the external drive you’re unable to back up?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

obara
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, I tried both backup page and desktop backup preferences - when I clicked the external drive to add to backup nothing happens. The drive was formatted multiple times in different formats and nothing works. I checked the drive on different MacBook with different dropbox account and the dropbox asked to backup. On my MacBook nothing happens. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @obara, happy February 1st!

Just keep in mind that this feature only supports external drives with filesystem type APFS or HFS+ for Macs. Can you double check if your external drive is supported? 

Also, can you clarify if the desktop app is running normally when you plug the external drive into the computer in question?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

obara
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

As I mentioned before I formatted the drive in all possible ways and formats, nothing worked. None of the ones you listed. When I plug the external drive to my MacBook I got none notification to backup the drive and also when I go to backups settings when I click the hard drive name nothing happens. But when I plugged my external drive to my boyfriend's MacBook his dropbox asked if he would like to backup that drive. So the external drive is not a problem. As the title of the topic stands "I told Dropbox to not backup an external drive; now I've changed my mind" - I also have this problem. I did told dropbox to not backup some time ago ( different external drive) and from that time I can't backup any external drive, I mean AAAAANYYYYYY, no matter how it is formatted. 

Need more support?