cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I told Dropbox to not backup an external drive; now I've changed my mind

I told Dropbox to not backup an external drive; now I've changed my mind

sixstringbuzz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The subject pretty much says it all! I'm on a Mac and I connected an external drive (formatted HFS+). A popup came up asking if I wanted to backup this drive to Dropbox and I said no. Now I'd like to explore that service but I can't figure out how to turn backup on for this drive now that I've dismissed the popup. 

Is there a way to turn backup on for this drive other than reformatting it?

64 Replies 64

Anwick
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is clearly still a problem and I've just had a useless conversation with live chat about it! I'm not even sure she understood the issue. 
Come on Dropbox, I'm paying you £700 a year so I expect something better than "how is your drive formatted" when that CLEARLY isn't the issue here!

iiuuuuii
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Disconnecting and reconnecting the drive while the app is open does not help.

What's needed, is an option in preferences to add external drives, but this so obvious it feels absurd to type it out.

Guillemmm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I wonder how come this issue is neglected.
We've purchased a 700€/year plan. Seemed like a bargain, but now I'm encountering this issues (of course i wouldn't back up my drives when my Dropbox was only 3TB!) makes me seriously rethink our purchase...

Anwick
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I did notice in preferences the other day, trying to suss out another Dropbox issue, that it now displays a list of backup drives and cards that you’ve told it to never back up. So it looks like you can remove them from this list and they should give you the backup option again. I’ve yet to try it and see.

Guillemmm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Anwick, Preferences is the first place I looked, but unfortunately I can't seem to find it!
Under the Backups tab all i see is "Show setup notifications when external drives are plugged-in" with a checkmark, but no further option -at least in the app for Mac OS...

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Guillemmm, have you tried going to the backups page, to see if you can set up your external drive to be backed up from there?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Guillemmm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Hannah: the issue is if a new drive is plugged to the system, it becomes available to backup.
But once stated that I don't want it backed up, there's no way to change my mind.
It doesn't even show up in the backups page.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hmm, I see.

Can you please follow these steps, to see if you can reset this preference?

2) Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click on your initials/profile pic
3) Select 'Preferences'
4) Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)
5) Hold down the 'Option/Alt' keys

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Tiffanycrea
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, I tried this solution, I clicked on all these options except the last one, because I could not change the locations of dropbox to my macbookpro.

I still can't see my external drive in backup pages.

I end up getting this hard drive formatted and it finally appeared in backup page. 

Luckily there isn't anything inside and I had another external hard drive for dropbox synchronisation. 

But it would be convenient for us to be able to "reactivate" the backup after you clicked "no" at the first time. 

hello_box11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hello, other than the first time prompt, there is actually a separate backup page which can control all the backup behavior, including external drive backup and computer backup. The way to start this is by going to Preferences > backup > manage backup from desktop.
Need more support?