cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I see blue spinning circles next to my folders and my files disappeared from Dropbox online.

I see blue spinning circles next to my folders and my files disappeared from Dropbox online.

mutticampbell
Helpful | Level 5

I've run a Dropbox basic folder for over 10 years.  Currently running the Basic Setup on a fully updated Windows 10 PC.  Space used is only 1.6 gig.   Files were sycronising according to the task bar icon.  BUT.

For the last few months when I clicked on the PC Dropbox folder to access a file or folder, the blue spinning circle went on for ages and trying one document had the same effect.  Made working with files on the PC almost impossible.

About to travel for a few days so tried again as I wanted access to the files while I was away with my tablet.  Online was working but desktop was not.

One of the boards suggested check with a different browser so I logged into Dropbox using Firefox.  When I eventually got in had to change password, my online dropbox was a completely new screen display style up, all the permissions for others had vanished and was totally empty!

Went back to the PC folder and taking quite a while carefully copied all the folders onto a data stick for safety.  I then logged out of Dropbox, unplugged the network cable and uninstalled Dropbox.  Reconnected and reinstalled the new version a couple of times until I got a 'new' Dropbox folder in the same location as the old now renamed folder.  Once the old folder had been disassociated from Dropbox all the files were fine and easy to access.

I now have a new installed folder on the PC , which I have repopulated with some of the files from the original folder.  

Syncing is working to the online but I'm still left with the original problem which the blue spinning disc and the unworkable folders.  Not to mention no understanding of how the entire contents of the online folder vanished without warning.  These were personally valuable copies of documents to it was not a pleasant experience.  Any help would be welcome.  Thank you

12 Replies 12

mutticampbell
Helpful | Level 5

That is proving difficult as my mouse locks when I hit this problem.  Will have to take a photo on my mobile to fix it.  In the meantime there is progress but more issues.

Mystery has been solved.  At some point in the last year I changed my email login for the original account, did not make a note and forgot.  Apologies.
Tried another email account login and got my OLD Dropbox back.  Logged in first time no problem.  I've deleted the accidental duplicate account after checking all the files were safe on the PC.  

Uninstalled the app on my PC, rebooted and reinstalled.  Dropbox PC folder is now syncronised to the correct account.  The contents of the correct Dropbox syncronised down to the new folder no problem.  I can add and remove files ok.  BUT to freezing up of actions continues and it appears to be directly associated with the desktop app and my PC.  If you can close this ticket please I'll log another ticket about the freezing.  Thanks for all the help and apologies for wasting your time 

Pamperpot01
New member | Level 2

Hi

Has there been a resolution to this? I've had the same problem for weeks and it's only when i use dropbox on my PC, any local files do not take a long time to open/move/ change.

This is making my workday impossible as all of my invoices are saved to file on DB then previewed to read and process onto our accounts system [paperless] i then need to move the processed invoices into a closed folder

Come on DB we are not the only people having this issue what is the problem?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Pamperpot01, if you're experiencing this issue currently, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for them to investigate this in more detail on their end.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Pamperpot01 New member | Level 2
    mutticampbell Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?