cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I see blue spinning circles next to my folders and my files disappeared from Dropbox online.

I see blue spinning circles next to my folders and my files disappeared from Dropbox online.

mutticampbell
Helpful | Level 5

I've run a Dropbox basic folder for over 10 years.  Currently running the Basic Setup on a fully updated Windows 10 PC.  Space used is only 1.6 gig.   Files were sycronising according to the task bar icon.  BUT.

For the last few months when I clicked on the PC Dropbox folder to access a file or folder, the blue spinning circle went on for ages and trying one document had the same effect.  Made working with files on the PC almost impossible.

About to travel for a few days so tried again as I wanted access to the files while I was away with my tablet.  Online was working but desktop was not.

One of the boards suggested check with a different browser so I logged into Dropbox using Firefox.  When I eventually got in had to change password, my online dropbox was a completely new screen display style up, all the permissions for others had vanished and was totally empty!

Went back to the PC folder and taking quite a while carefully copied all the folders onto a data stick for safety.  I then logged out of Dropbox, unplugged the network cable and uninstalled Dropbox.  Reconnected and reinstalled the new version a couple of times until I got a 'new' Dropbox folder in the same location as the old now renamed folder.  Once the old folder had been disassociated from Dropbox all the files were fine and easy to access.

I now have a new installed folder on the PC , which I have repopulated with some of the files from the original folder.  

Syncing is working to the online but I'm still left with the original problem which the blue spinning disc and the unworkable folders.  Not to mention no understanding of how the entire contents of the online folder vanished without warning.  These were personally valuable copies of documents to it was not a pleasant experience.  Any help would be welcome.  Thank you

12 Replies 12

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your post, @mutticampbell! Let’s have a look. 

To start from the empty online Dropbox account you were seeing on a different browser, I believe that you accidentally created a brand new account (under another email address/an email with a typo), which is why you weren’t seeing any files there.

Now, as for the desktop app on your computer, can you clarify its current syncing status

Besides the blue syncing icon next to your files on the app, are you able to see the updates you make on www.dropbox.com or nothing seems to sync? Feel free to send me any screenshots you think may help.

Send me more info and we’ll check this further.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mutticampbell
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your reply.  After this email I'll not be able to be in front of my PC to attempt fixes for about 10 days.  I've read your reply and here are the answers.  I'll continue to check for messages.

Potential New Accident Account - That had crossed my mind too but the email address is the same, true I had to change the password but thats not the first time thats happened with other accounts.  I've done a Screenshot of the first email I received, to the same email address I've always used which made me suspicious.

Sending Screenshots is problematic due to the very slow opening.  I've had to log into the online copy and the download it to the PC.  Any attempt to copy the screenshot from the PC folder takes over 5 minutes!  Also how do I send the screenshots to you?  Normally I'd just attach.

The Blue circle.   Someone has previously logged this issue.  Please see "Files open very Slow" post on 02-29-2020 10:52 AM.  Identical issue to me and the solution advised is what I did yesterday.  No better.   Its in the 'delete, edit, and organise' folder.

I've also cleared out my screenshots folder on-line and found out where to switch off the option to store screenshots in Dropbox

In preferences I've set 'enable offline' as this is my primary way of working at the PC.  Dropbox is only used on line when I'm in meetings and as abackup.

Neither of these has improved things.    

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @mutticampbell - thanks for the additional information there.

I just wanted to mention that you can send us screenshots via the camera icon within your reply box.

If you're on a mobile device and not seeing it, you can try requesting the desktop version of the page. 

Also, can you confirm that this is the thread you were referring to? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mutticampbell
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks.  I'll see if I can send you screenshots.  Added one about the suspect additional account but it came into the same email address. 

Yes that is indeed the article.  Have almost the identical problem except.

My timings are almost 5 minutes

I've already downloaded and installed the latest version of dropboxDuplicate account suspicion.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

You mean the one from this page - right @mutticampbell?

And what is the app's status as shown in your system tray at the moment? Is it 'up to date' or syncing?

As for the missing files you originally mentioned, can you see any signs of them in your deleted files page or the events page by any chance?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mutticampbell
Helpful | Level 5

Don't recognise that link.  Just Google Dropbox app and chose the one for Pc

I'm running V203.4.4857  according the Preference tab.

No sign of the hundreds of files which were online.  New web set up was completly empty.  They didn't download, just gone.  Suspect somehow a duplicate has been created.

The app according to the system tray is up to date and synced.  All the files are in the online version but only because I took the action I did , see posts above.  The original linked PC folder was intact and is now disengaged from Dropbox.  I've moved all the files into the new blue icon Dropbox folder and they are all uploaded into the online folder.  Also moved other items which were overdue to be moved into it.

Despite all this the blue circling mouse icon is still with me.  Using huge workarounds on the PC or via the online version to do things which took seconds before this.

The live Dropbox folder and all folders and files in it, is the only one not working properly and locking Explorer for several minutes before completing the action.

Thanks

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Could you send me a screenshot of the blue circling mouse icon you're noticing so that I can have a visual too @mutticampbell

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mutticampbell
Helpful | Level 5

The blue circle is what the mouse arrow/hand or any other image turns into when the cursor is waiting for a process to complete.  Not able to reply until now.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update @mutticampbell 

Can you also send us a screenshot now perhaps? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Pamperpot01 New member | Level 2
    mutticampbell Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?