cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I can't access my backup from other devices after a recent update

I can't access my backup from other devices after a recent update

Columbusboo1
Helpful | Level 5

I recently updated to the new Dropbox Backup on my main computer and, from the reading that I have done, realized that the new update no longer allows you to view or access files in backup from the Dropbox folder on other devices. I do work across a computer and two laptops and need to be able to access and edit my files from any device on any other device and have everything sync in real-time. Before the update, this worked flawlessly as I could access and edit files in the documents folder of one computer from another. But it seems that this function has been removed. Is it possible for me to roll back the update and restore the old functionality. If not, what can I do to have all of my files sync and be accessible across devices. I use Dropbox specifically for this functionality and with this change, Dropbox has become effectively useless to me.

15 Replies 15

Spushor
Helpful | Level 6
What has happened here is an example big Tech arrogance and disregard for the Customer and lack of communication in regards to the nature of this back up and the elimination of important functionality the syncing of the Mac desktop into the dropbox mobile devices visibility of the flawed back up.

In my case a dialog box was sent to me on a midnight on a Saturday. I was going on vacation. I had no warning no courtesy email no nothing from Dropbox explaining what was going to happen to me.

This shows a lack of courtesy and respect to the customer .

It is arrogant and unacceptable at the least, and email should’ve been sent to the users explaining the upcoming backup and the functionalities that would be eliminated .

That did not happen and this is why a lot of customers are unhappy. I wish I could find an alternative right now and I’ll be on the lookout to see if anything else I can do to replace Dropbox because I’m sick of this lack of communication - this dialogue box being thrown on me without any warning confusion about the back up and the elimination of functionality I pay for on a yearly basis - you’ve gone backwards not forwards for no reason given why this particular functionality was taken away from Mac users .

Had Dropbox in a proper way in a courteous way communicated in advance - maybe customers like me wouldn’t be so upset .

vaizor
Helpful | Level 5

By the way, I have a performance in 30 minutes and my files were in dropbox for my visuals. I have to relink all the files dropbox moved all around. Lets just say I have some choice words to say about that.

Spushor
Helpful | Level 6

Why is my Mac Desktop files on DB file Backups/Mac/Desktop file not visible on my iPhone Dropbox app? I demand that Dropbox restore that functionality. What are you doing? End the corporate arrogance and big Tech and inconsiderate behavior toward its customers.

the_ood
Helpful | Level 6

I've been using Dropbox on my work and home Mac and PC for years and I loved the fact that I had the ability to access the files stored in my Documents and Downloads folders of either PC. You guys destroyed that experience completely. I've been a Dropbox user for years and I am seriously considering moving to another service as a result. 

Don't you people have product managers that do customer forums to ask what WE want for new features? What you did here is completely ignore us. It was a stupid, insane change to a solution that worked well before and now its trash. I'm hoping that someone in your product group sees this and the number of negative comments this has generated. 

the_ood
Helpful | Level 6

I have three computers, all with Dropbox. I've been using Dropbox for years. One of the best features was the fact that you can backup your documents and downloads directories from all computers and access all of those directories from any of my computers. The computers would show up in separate directories (Mac 1, PC 1, etc) so it was easy to get access to those files. Further, we could choose not to keep those files offline, which freed up even more space.

Yesterday I noticed that my downloads folders were no longer accessible from other computers. The folders were backed up now, but only viewable across computers on Dropbox Web. Worse, I could not move those files to other directories anymore. The entire experience is broken. After doing some research, I found that Dropbox actually intentionally changed this feature completely and broke what was an excellent way of sharing files? Now I am forced to just create a separate directory and dump all of my docs there in order to get the desired result. 

What in the world possessed you people to make such a change? It's incredibly shortsighted of you. Doesn't your product managers conduct customer forums to get actionable feedback, rather than ignore us? I have to tell you, without this I am seriously considering jumping to another service. 

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
New member | Level 2

Adding another disappointed reply to this thread - this was absolutely the best and most useful feature of Dropbox. Why oh why you would decide to remove it - and even worse without warning or explanation - is completely, utterly bonkers. 

Need more support?