cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Al my PC files have dropped off Dropbox!

I can't access my backup files, after Dropbox asked for a backup update

Lorraine66
Helpful | Level 6

Since clicking on the file backup link that Dropbox sent me today, Dropbox is not featuring any of the files that I have on my PC. I use my Dropbox account on my PC, my iphone and my ipad. This one account allows me to see all my PC files across all my devices. But since clicking on the backup link DB sent me, there are none of my PC files appearing in my Dropbox account either on the web portal, nor on my files area of my PC or on the app on my iphone and ipad. This means I cannot get access to any important files while away from my PC until I can restore them to Dropbox. Very urgent! I am lost without my files and cannot work! Really hoping some clever person can help me please!

43 Replies 43

cbshaffer
Helpful | Level 6

Mark me for the same feedback as @_voy_.

cbshaffer
Helpful | Level 6

cbshaffer_0-1714485626094.png

Thanks for your time, Walter.

CharlesFVincent
Helpful | Level 6

I agree. It looks like our two options are a backup of local files, or a sync of files stored only on Dropbox. The old way allowed local storage with a backup online that acted as a sync, so it was both in one, and it looks like a lot of people were using this handy feature. If I move all my files to Dropbox for full sync and don't store them locally, why would I need a backup of my empty local drive? Or I could start copying and saving everything twice, once to sync and once to store, because I want it on local too. Now I am using the web interface of the backup to get files on my mobile which it is not really meant for. I don't think the upgrade message explained this well and I was annoyed that I couldn't get it off my screen and read it later to make a better decision. There seems to be no way out of this being a cumbersome and complicated experience that doubles a lot of workload and increases the potential for errors with its more demanding interface. I like Dropbox but this is a bit of a Flopbox.

cbshaffer
Helpful | Level 6

@Walter Here is the screenshot you requested. Please help me (and others) resolve these issues of not being able to store our files on our laptop AND sync to Dropbox AND access from other devices as we previously were able to do. Dropbox has a full-year's fee for services that were changed.

cbshaffer_0-1714571193373.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, @cbshaffer.

If you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray, what do you see?

Also, if you click that Dropbox icon and then click the folder icon next to your initials/profile pic, which Dropbox folder is it taking you to?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cbshaffer
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Hannah 
It takes me to the first Dropbox folder (4 down in the Desktop folder). What's the purpose of the other Dropbox folder (in NomadGirl22 folder--also in Desktop folder)?

cbshaffer
Helpful | Level 6

@Hannah Which Dropbox folder do I put my files in to sync with other devices? Can I get rid of the other one?
and the big question....how do I keep a copy of my files on my laptop(local drive) while having the ability to sync my files with other devices?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @cbshaffer, these seem to be the exact same folder, just displayed differently in Windows itself. 

One is showing the 'main' system folders on your computer (in the top section) and the second half is showing folders under your user account on your computer. You can confirm this by checking out other folders there, like both Desktop  or Music folders to see that the data is the same.

Both folders have sync icons, so both are syncing to the site. Adding a file to either folder would result in it syncing normally.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cbshaffer
Helpful | Level 6

@Jay @Walter @Hannah 
Thank you all for your time in responding, but I'm still at the same point as I began. Dropbox Backup has changed your services in an undesirable way. I want to be able to sync my LOCALLY STORED files with Dropbox AND access them from my other devices. This is what Dropbox previously provided. Is it really good business practice to take away services from your customers, especially when a year's subscription has already been paid? Please respond directly to this issue. If my former services are no longer available, what are my options for possibly canceling my subscription for a prorated refund.

cbshaffer
Helpful | Level 6

@Rich but when you move them to DB folder, you are taking them out of your local drive. I think many people (including me) want to continue having them on our own drive. 

Need more support?