cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Al my PC files have dropped off Dropbox!

I can't access my backup files, after Dropbox asked for a backup update

Lorraine66
Helpful | Level 6

Since clicking on the file backup link that Dropbox sent me today, Dropbox is not featuring any of the files that I have on my PC. I use my Dropbox account on my PC, my iphone and my ipad. This one account allows me to see all my PC files across all my devices. But since clicking on the backup link DB sent me, there are none of my PC files appearing in my Dropbox account either on the web portal, nor on my files area of my PC or on the app on my iphone and ipad. This means I cannot get access to any important files while away from my PC until I can restore them to Dropbox. Very urgent! I am lost without my files and cannot work! Really hoping some clever person can help me please!

43 Replies 43

Columbusboo1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, I am having a similar issue as Lorraine. I do work across multiple computers and need to be able to access and work on files from all of my different computers. Is there no longer a way to access and work on documents with a 2 way sync using DropBox? If I have a file in the documents folder of my PC and want to work on it from my laptop, how should I go about doing this now that my backups don't show up in the file explorer. This is a very big issue for me as this is what I use DB for and without this functionality, DB is all but useless to me.

Lorraine66
Helpful | Level 6

Sorry to hear you are suffering the same issues @Columbusboo1. DB have told me there is no way to go back to the old system. This makes life harder because we can no longer get easy access to our backed up files because they do not appear on the DB app. This so-called 'upgrade' is a retrograde step in my view. I have found that I can still locate my files by logging into the DB website and going to the backup area. But then you need to download them there to work on, and then load them back up to DB if you want them to be backed up. This is so laborious compared to the previous version of DB. PLEASE DB can you fix this - or do another upgrade that gives the functionality we had before this latest upgrade. I wish I had never clicked on the upgrade link but DB never explained that we would lose functionality - if they had, I would not have accepted the link they sent me. In the meantime, I am looking for alternative platforms to see if there is another brand that could give me the backup I need as well as the accessibility across all devices - I loved this service from DB and I cannot understand why they have removed it.

Columbusboo1
Helpful | Level 5

I agree @Lorraine66, this is an incredibly stupid decision that has me actively looking to switch away from Dropbox. One thing that was recommended to me that might help is Boxifier. It is a 3rd party app that essentially adds this functionality back into DB. Unfortunately, its $50/year or $300 for a lifetime license that you need to pay on top of what DB costs. It's a shame having to pay just to get back the features that were already there.

CharlesFVincent
Helpful | Level 6

I also can't get my backup files through my iPad app anymore since allowing the new "upgrade". I guess I will have to use the Dropbox web interface through Safari on the iPad?  Too bad, I had a nice workflow that I used daily to transfer images from my scanner and iMac to my iPad. My entire workflow has been destroyed by this change and I haven't been able to use Dropbox since. I trust Dropbox less now and did a quick manual backup to One Drive in case everything breaks down even worse. It was nice before and I enjoyed it, and didn't realize the plan was to eliminate access to backed-up files from other devices. 

WendyMerritt
Explorer | Level 4

This was a HORRIBLE "update." I DO NOT want this! I want it back the other way. I cannot access my files and folders from my iPhone and iPad now. That is the ENTIRE point of having dropbox for me. This was a bad business decision and should not have been labelled as an upgrade. Please let me know how I can revert or fix this.

CharlesFVincent
Helpful | Level 6

It's annoying, but go to Dropbox dot com on your iPad or iPhone in Safari, go to the grid button to open the menu, and under Explore more go to Backup. There you can browse to the documents that have been moved. If they're graphics pay attention to the scale percentage and get them to 100% before copying them to the Photos app or they will be pixelated preview images. Having the files only available through Safari renders the Dropbox app pretty much useless and everything is less efficient than it used to be, but at least you can find the files. I agree and wish I hadn't clicked OK on this upgrade that is more of a total alteration. I don't think the AI chatbot that appears in the web version is consolation for losing the functional Dropbox app. I moved the Dropbox app off my main page so I would stop going to it out of habit. I plan to keep the app around for a while to see if I use it, but I will delete it if I can only use Safari to get my files.

Rich
Super User II

The new update to the Backup feature is much closer to how an actual backup should work. You shouldn't be accessing backed up files unless you intend to restore them. Backups should be left alone.

It sounds like what most of you need is just a basic file sync, so those files are accessible on all of your devices. That's the CORE FEATURE of Dropbox. Just use Dropbox normally and skip the backup feature. Move your files into the Dropbox folder and they'll be accessible on your other devices just as they always have.

If this is about key folders such as your Desktop being accessible on other devices, then move those folders into Dropbox. Your operating system should have a feature to relocate key folders wherever you want them. If this isn't about your key folders, then just move them into Dropbox manually.

jeffvolsh
New member | Level 2

Same issue here since I have clicked on the Backup link.  Just spent 30 minutes with tech support.  Bottom line, you can only access your backup through a web interface and it is no longer in the Files directory.  The only positive here, is that this is now a real back up, not just a sync.  But the list of negatives is much longer.  Not only you cannot easily use it when working away from your computer, it is removed from file directories both on mobile and computer.  The whole point of DB was to have all fill-in the same place.  To make matters worse, YOU CANNOT UNDO IT and go back to the old way!!!  

One of the worst decisions I have seen!

DarinJ2
New member | Level 2

I've had Dropbox set to keep a back up of the files on my PC for quite some time.  All of a sudden all but two of my folders (along with contents) are gone from my computer and only on dropbox.  I did not delete the files from my PC.  I seem to remember a Dropbox message in the past few weeks about a backup or something but I didn't pay close attention.  Does anyone know what might be going on?  

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @DarinJ2, thanks for reaching out to us.

If you chose to update your Dropbox app to the new Backup experience, your backup files shouldn't be removed from the computer completely; they should have just returned to their original locations.

Have you checked there, to see if you can find them?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?