cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop dropbox from syncing temp files?

How to stop dropbox from syncing temp files?

Symphonitron
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is it possible to stop Dropbox from syncing temp files and cache files that various applications create in the same folder as the file I want to sync? An example is MS Access, which has an accdb file that I want synced, but when I open that file on my PC desktop it temporarily creates a laccdb scratch file of the same file size or larger, and Dropbox syncs it. This file should not be used by any other device, and always resides alongside the accdb file. It's really tasking my other computers to constantly sync stuff they should not sync.

I have used the Selective Sync to exclude specific folders that include junk files but this only solves part of the problem. I have noticed on one of my Mac desktops that kernal_task is running amok when Dropbox is desperately syncing various large cache files (not even sure where they are - but pretty sure related to PC work in folders that I want to sync) and probably re-indexing. I do not want to sync cache files, temp files, scratch files.

To put my question another way, how to exclude specific file types / file extensions so that Dropbox ignores them even in my included folders?

--Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Symphonitron

Everything put inside the dropbox folder is automatically synced on the website. The only workaround that I could think of, so as to avoid syncing temp files, would be to modify your files offline and then put these back inside the Dropbox folder on your desktop. 

Hope this helps you clarify! 

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
There is no method to exclude specific files.

Symphonitron
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Why?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Symphonitron

Everything put inside the dropbox folder is automatically synced on the website. The only workaround that I could think of, so as to avoid syncing temp files, would be to modify your files offline and then put these back inside the Dropbox folder on your desktop. 

Hope this helps you clarify! 

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

thebelt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The way I go around this is temporary pause syncing in the DropBox settings and set a reminder message in Windows for when I stop working on something.

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

thebelt New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    Symphonitron Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?