cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of the red circle on the dropbox icon in my menu bar? Mac desktop app.

How to get rid of the red circle on the dropbox icon in my menu bar? Mac desktop app.

Pih
Helpful | Level 6

Whenever someone comments on a shared file in dropbox, I get a red circle on the dropbox icon in the menu bar. This interrupts my workflow and I have to get rid of this feature if I want to get any work done on my computer.

Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 12.15.50.png

I have turned off all notifications on Dropbox app and on my system preferences, but the red circle still appears. I think this is bad software development practice to circumvent system preferences (which allow you to choose which applications can show the badge app icon) by putting the red number in the menu bar (which the user has no control over).

I have now spent significant amount of time trying to find a solution to this, but I'm starting to fear it is impossible. I wish I had not updated dropbox, I have lost so much working time because of the update that introduced this red circle.

Has anyone found a way to permanently disable the red circle or to hide the dropbox icon from the menu bar completely? Is there a way to request this feature (or rather file a bug report, I can't believe the circle is there on purpose when notifications are turned off) from the dropbox dev team?

16 Replies 16

Pih
Helpful | Level 6

Just an update for anyone else with this issue:
I emailed back and forth with Dropbox about this issue in 2020, sent them a couple of screenshots after they requested them, got the latest version of Dropbox, reinstalled it again after request and what not, and after countless emails, I finally got a reply that said:
"After further investigation, it appears that turning off comments is only available to business customers. Since you are on a basic account, this option would not be available."

Anyway, I switched to Google Drive whenever I need to share files that other people comment on. I don't recommend trying to get the bug fixed, I wasted quite some time on that already. If the email support doesn't know the difference between "turning off comments" and "turning off notifications", I think there's no hope.

I wonder whether business users are indeed able to turn off notifications, including the red circle. At least it's not an advertised feature.

Kaasi
New member | Level 2

Since 2020? This is not acceptable. Having that red bubble with a "1" there for several months leads me to keep constantly looking there. I will try to switch to Google Drive. Thanks 

peekaboo82628
Explorer | Level 4

You are indeed correct, after reading more than 20 threads about this issue, where Dropbox customer service team only requested the users to restart/reinstall/reboot the application/machine, which is such a common operations that a professional support should already prepare a manual to target any issues, I found that none of these "tricks" solved the issue.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @peekaboo82628, are you still having issues with this?

If so, could you send us a screenshot of the app's status and version as shown in your menu bar?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

peekaboo82628
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

sure, I attached a screenshot in this reply. Please note that I have reboot the laptop, reinstalled Dropbox and relink my account multiple times, which don't help.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 12.05.23.png

Kind regards,

peekaboo82628

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @peekaboo82628, just to confirm, have you gone through the updating process for the Dropbox for macOS version of the app, that appears in your screenshot, using the "get started" link?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

peekaboo82628
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Hannah , thanks for the hint, I tried again and the red "1" sign disappeared.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

peekaboo82628 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?