cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I permanently stop a huge sync?

How do I permanently stop a huge sync?

GadgetGrrl
Explorer | Level 4

I accidentally started an enormous sync to my iMac (10k + files urk) that I can't seem to stop.  My only option appears to be to pause it.  I don't want all this data to be sync'ed to my computer at all so how do I make this thing stop permanently?  It's gobbling up bandwidth and my data and after a day of syncing, has still not finished the job.

Many thanks in advance.

17 Replies 17

ceso
New member | Level 2

Hi - I am having the same issue whereby I accidentally clicked the "cloud" icon on my Apple computer and now the entire folder and subfolder are syncing and I can't stop it. This folder has literally dozens of GBs within it so I want to STOP the sync not just pause it — because I need to sync other things. What to do???

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ceso, have you tried right clicking that folder and marking it as online-only again? This would return it to the previous state and stop the downloading of files.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Octavio Warnock-Graham
New member | Level 2

Please give us the option of hard canceling out of synching as it is an enormous time waster on those rare occasions users accidentally synch a top-level folder. 

I'm losing hours out of my day as Dropbox re-indexes and downloads my old folder system. 

TomMunch
Helpful | Level 5

I'm having a similar issue. I added a folder to Dropbox on my desktop Mac that defaulted to syncing to my laptop. I unchecked the folder from Dropbox on my laptop, but it didn't stop the sync. I then actually deleted the folder from Dropbox online and on my Mac desktop, and it's still trying to sync 100,000 files that no longer exist. Ugh. I'm sure I'm going to run out of disk space on my laptop, and meanwhile new files that I'd like to sync to online Dropbox and my desktop Mac and from my laptop and access from my phone and iPad are not showing up because I guess they are lost in the cue behind these other 100,000 files.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @TomMunch - sorry to hear about this.

If this persists after rebooting your computer or quitting and relaunching the app, could you send us a screenshot of the app's status so that we can have a  visual too? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

TomMunch
Helpful | Level 5

I signed out and back in, and after it indexed all my files it no longer was trying to sync the deleted files.

TomMunch
Helpful | Level 5

So it says it's done syncing now, and all the files that were deleted including the folder are absent.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Glad to hear that, @TomMunch.

If you have any other issues, let us know.

Have a great day!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    TomMunch Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?