cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I prevent folders from taking up space on my machine?

How can I prevent folders from taking up space on my machine?

RayM
Explorer | Level 4

I started with Dropbox many years ago.  Windows 7?  Maybe earlier.  I needed an easy way to use and see files on different computers.  Worked great for that.  Also appreciate that important files are backed up against HD or machine failure.  But now with all the options and automation I find Dropbox to be very confusing.  Almost to the point of not usable.  Can't even find solutions or answers to what should be simple questions.

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RayM, thanks for your feedback! 

If you have any questions, or need guidance we're always here to help and provide the answers to or guide you. 

Let me know more, and I'll be happy to assist, any way possible! Thank you! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RayM
Explorer | Level 4

Megan,

Yes, you may be able to help.  I need to be able to choose which folders are local as well as online.  I need to know that Dropbox won't automatically decide to make folders online only.

The problem is I have two Windows laptops.  An old slow laptop with massive storage has all folders and files local and online Dropbox as well.  The new laptop is a zippy little thing with smaller storage.  I spend a lot of time with very slow or no internet at all.  There are some folders I want local on the new laptop.  I cannot find a way to change, update or even view many of the folders on the new laptop that are stored on the old beast and online.  Attempts to search the community for answers has been frustrating to say the least.  None that I have read offer a workable solution.  This used to be a very simple thing to do.  Not so much now.

Old laptop

Windows 10

1 TB HDD, nearly full

New laptop

Windows 11

500 GB SSD, 25% full

Dropbox Plus 2 TB acct

You can see I simply don't have enough room to make everything local on the new laptop.  I need to select which folders on Dropbox are local to the new laptop.  I need to ensure that those folders remain local, that is Dropbox does not decide to move folders to online only automatically for any reason.

I also have Dropbox on two Android devices.  But that's another confusing topic for another time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RayM Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?