cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I make sure that files I add to a folder in my Dropbox folder sync to my account?

How can I make sure that files I add to a folder in my Dropbox folder sync to my account?

Patsycola
New member | Level 2

An example.

I have a folder containing photos on my laptop. I copy that folder to a Dropbox folder. The file and its contents are uploaded to Dropbox and synced. So far so good.

I add another photo to the folder. What do I need to do to reflect that addition in Dropbox? I'm new to the software and don't find it all intuitive.

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Patsycola, welcome to our Community!

As long as the Dropbox app works correctly, any files added to your Dropbox folder, should automatically sync to your account.

If that's not the case for you, can you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar and let me know what the sync status and app version is?

Also, what's your computer's OS and version?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Patsycola
New member | Level 2

Hi Hannah

Thanks for your reply. Say I have a folder of files (which are on my laptop and also in Dropbox)  that I'm frequently updating, are you saying that all the amendments to that folder should be carried out in the actual Dropbox folder rather than the one on the laptop? If so, would this mean that if I ever decide not to continue with a Dropbox subscription all that work would be lost?

Rich
Super User II

@Patsycola wrote:

... are you saying that all the amendments to that folder should be carried out in the actual Dropbox folder rather than the one on the laptop?

The Dropbox folder is on your laptop. Anything in that folder sync with your account online. Add or change any file in that folder and it will sync to the Dropbox servers.

If so, would this mean that if I ever decide not to continue with a Dropbox subscription all that work would be lost?

No, if you take precautions. Before ending your subscription you would move your files out of the Dropbox folder, or reduce the number of files in Dropbox so that you remain below the quota for a free account (default is 2GB).

If you're below quota, you can continue using a free Basic account for as long as you like. If you're over quota, you either need to upgrade or remove files to get back below quota. If you're over quota for an extended period of time, Dropbox may start removing files (newest first) to bring you back below your quota.

Need more support?