cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I identify long file paths in the Dropbox folder in Windows?

How can I identify long file paths in the Dropbox folder in Windows?

Katy Stace
New member | Level 2

New to DropBox admin here and looking for a little help...

I'm trying to identify file paths that might be too long for Windows explorer to handle (my team have gone nuts with the sub-folders!).  So far, I've exported the file storage report from the admin console, then used a formula to calculate the characters of each path.  HOWEVER, when I'm comparing the path names on the export, to the file structure in DB, they don't match up - the export is missing quite a few sub folder levels in some cases.  Is there a way to produce an accurate report so that I can get my team to do some targeted housekeeping?

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Katy Stace, thanks for messaging the Community.

Currently, there isn't a method via Dropbox to determine the full file path length for any item in your Dropbox account. Could you clarify where exactly the subfolders are missing from?

Even if you were to create a report on the admin console, depending on how the Dropbox folder is set up on the users' machines, the full length could vary radically depending on usernames and so on.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Katy Stace
New member | Level 2

Thanks Jay.  As an example a common file path of ours (minus the user specific info) would look something like... Team Folder/Clients/Client AN Other/   followed by several subfolders containing different categories of info.

When I've spot checked a couple of them on the Team Storage report (excel export) not all of the subfolders are listed e.g. Client A has 7 sub folders but only 2 are on the report, client B has 4 sub folders but only one is on the report.  And it doesn't always cut off at the same level i.e. some lines on the report go to 7 folder levels whiles others stop at 3 (when we know there are more)

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Is there anything special about these subfolders that might prevent them from being reported? A list of what should be included in the report can be found here.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Katy Stace New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?