cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I achieve automatic sync between remote computers?

How can I achieve automatic sync between remote computers?

Steve R.8
Explorer | Level 3

Automatic sync between remote computers seemed simple some time ago but the remote system has been replaced and Dropbox was installed. There is a remote telescope computer set up at a California observatory that I run from my home in Virginia. I have an active DB account and DB is installed on both systems. At one time in the past with another computer when I saved any data from that telescope to a folder it would sync with my system at home and I'd have all the data from that evening in the morning.

With the new computer I've installed a separate drive for the data only and want to have that drive shared so as data is saved it will be copied to my home computer. Seems very basic but for some reason, likely age, I can't seem to get this working. I'm sure it's simple and basic but it eludes me. All drives on the remote computer are setup to share so that's not the issue. I vaguely seem to remember right clicking on the folder and choosing to share with DB but that option is not shone.

Suggestions please.

Thanks

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

Yes thats right.

You can move it via https://help.dropbox.com/installs/move-dropbox-folder

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Steve R.8 

Dropbox will only sync what is inside of the Dropbox directory. So to have it sync to Dropbox and to your home computer (and viceversa) you need to be saving the data to Dropbox.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Steve R.8
Explorer | Level 3

So do I create the folder on the E drive as Dropbox/SRO Data? Or do I install Dropbox on the E drive? I appreciate the response.

Mark
Super User II

You need to install Dropbox wherever and then put all of the data you want to sync pointed at \Dropbox\UserFolder.

Note that Dropbox will install its program files to C:\ and that cannot be altered, but, you can change the Dropbox directory folder via the advanced install options. 

Steve R.8
Explorer | Level 3

The current path on the remote drive is "C:\Users\David\Dropbox" so if I want the E drive data to sync the path should be "E:\SRO Data\Dropbox" ?

Mark
Super User II

Yes thats right.

You can move it via https://help.dropbox.com/installs/move-dropbox-folder

Steve R.8
Explorer | Level 3

So can it be changed from the existing install or do I need to uninstall, reinstall, and change it then to the E drive SRO Data folder?  Sorry for being so confused. 

Steve R.8
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Mark, exactly what I needed. Looks familiar.....

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Steve R.8 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?