cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CPU usage even when not syncing or indexing

High CPU usage even when not syncing or indexing

fort
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For the past couple of days, Dropbox has been consistently using around 30% of my CPU, when not syncing or indexing anything (i.e., the menu bar drop down says `Up to date`). Any idea why this might be happening, and what I can do to get Dropbox to idle properly?

I'm on a MacBook Air, running macOS 10.13.6 and Dropbox 58.4.92.

Thanks.

64 Replies 64

EvilBolzen
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Hannah 

I can only totally agree with @megawhite . The current release needs to get the fix asap.

I did test out the beta client, and to my surprise it really fixes the CPU issues, when nothing is being synced, the CPU load from Dropbox processes drops below 1% (usually less than 0.1% on an average of one hour) and also the Windows Processes seem to "ignore" changes once the Dropbox Client is done with syncing.

However, the beta client has some bugs and specifically drawbacks for me:

Bugs:

• randomly, the client just shuts down. No reason given, even in the windows eventmanager there is no entry other than the process was ended.
  • I had to login a couple of times for some reasons, like it wasn't saving my credentials properly on the first few times.
  • The task bar icon sometimes isf lickering on my screen when I launch the client (e.g. after it closed or rebooting the pc). Again, randomly and I can't enforce it

Drawbacks (totally personally, may not be the case for others):

• the regular client has no issues with my wifi/internet connection at work or at home, the beta client however is struggeling with my home connection. I don't think it's related to the wifi/router, but from my ISP (start.ca). Sometimes the connection to the servers is slow/delayed. E.g. if I add something from my phone via mobile data or a colleague uploads at work (100MB/s upload) it can take several hours before my beta client is syncing the changes. The file is immediately available on the web interface, as well as on my phone and the "regular release" client. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @megawhite, in order to look into this matter in more detail, would it be possible to reach out to the email associated with your forum profile?

@EvilBolzen, we appreciate feedback on the Windows 10+ beta app. If you wish, we can contact you via email for the issues you're experiencing, if you haven't contacted the support team already.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

megawhite
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi @Jay absolutely no problem making contact via email, help me to help you.  I am a programmer myself so hopefully on the same wavelength.

Andrew

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks, I've sent you an email, please could you reply to it when you get a chance.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EvilBolzen
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

I would appreciate if you would contact me via mail.

I just found and experience a really, really strange and annoying bug after the beta client updatet to 183.3.6909.

Best regards

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

EvilBolzen Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    megawhite Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?