cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headless 'dropboxd' on Linux stuck on last few files, and I've no idea why

Headless 'dropboxd' on Linux stuck on last few files, and I've no idea why

marcosscriven
New member | Level 2

I'm using headless dropboxd on an up-to-date Debian Linux system:

~/dropbox.py version
Dropbox daemon version: 163.4.5456
Dropbox command-line interface version: 2020.03.04

It successfully downloaded over 200k files, and 350GB worth of data. However, it's now stuck on the last 18 files:

~/dropbox.py status
Syncing 18 files
Downloading 18 files...

No matter how many times I restart the daemon (or whole box), this number never goes down.

The only way I was able to find what these files are is one by one, using 'dropbox.py ls', and seeing the teal rather than green colour.

Digging into directories that were teal, I would eventually come to a directory with all files green. I could then compared on Dropbox web gui, and find a file that's there, but missing in Linux dir.

One example was a 37KB png file. 

So I tried this:

1. Downloaded the file from the web gui
  2. deleted it
  3. reuploaded it

Then, instantly, the sync count dropped by one, and the file was there.

So, in short:

1. How can I find why these 18 files are never syncing? The png file I mentioned, as an example, was not copyrighted or corrupt.

2. How can I find *which* files automatically (without hacking my on Python)?

2 Replies 2

marcosscriven
New member | Level 2

Just to update - while I still don't understand the reason some files aren't downloading, I found a faster way to find them.

I can use "rclone lsf -R dropbox:/", which is a recursive list of all files remotely.

Then I can just compare that to the locally synced list.

As it turned out, I didn't really need any of those files, so I deleted them from dropbox, and the Linux client now says it's up to date.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @marcosscriven,

The problem you're reporting is an old issue already. Even bigger issue is fact that nobody from Dropbox development take care. Seems like multi-platform support is not a priority anymore. There where always some features supported on one platform, but unsupported on other (or with restricted support). Until recently the different level of support didn't break syncing process, at least. In recent application versions conflicting changes seems to be introduced which violate syncing process. There are application attributes supported only by one or another application version/platform and confuse one or all others - definite conceptual bug. That's it... 😡 unfortunately. Take a look here.

Good luck to all of us.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    marcosscriven New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?