cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not syncing on desktop

Files not syncing on desktop

AzureSure
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Have used DB for many years and never had this problem. I created a folder on my desktop with various subfolders + shared with a team mate who then uploaded a series of documents to those folders, no problem. i can easily access them online but they are not syncing to my my desktop folders. nothing is in there. I am using a PC. here is what i have tried with no luck:

1) logged out on desktop and re-logged in. all files resynced to completion. still nothing.
2) created a new sub-folder on desktop with 1 doc and it synced online

3) created a new sub-folder online with 3 docs, the folder showed up on desktop but its empty.
4) i have checked files + folders for any restrictive permissions but cant find any

i have never had this happen before, can someone help? thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@AzureSure wrote:

i can easily access them online but they are not syncing to my my desktop folders ...

Files are named appropriately, without any characters that would be incompatible on a Windows system? This is especially common if you're sharing with a Mac user, and would prevent such files from syncing down to your computer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

AzureSure
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I even just tried uninstalling + reinstalling the DP app on my desktop and no change there either. ugh!

AzureSure
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

also - have a paid account w 2TB of storage, so space is not the issue either

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@AzureSure wrote:

i can easily access them online but they are not syncing to my my desktop folders ...

Files are named appropriately, without any characters that would be incompatible on a Windows system? This is especially common if you're sharing with a Mac user, and would prevent such files from syncing down to your computer.

AzureSure
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nope - here they are side-by-side. desktop folders and online, but when you open them, nothing is in the desktop folderScreenshot 2024-06-22 125447.pngScreenshot 2024-06-22 125405.png

AzureSure
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

OMGEEE! Wait, you are correct! that was it THANK YOU! i've never had that issue before!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@AzureSure wrote:

i've never had that issue before!

It's common when working on or sharing with different operating systems, Mac and Windows especially. Windows has several characters that are reserved by the system, like the pipe | in your filenames, and services like Dropbox can't create the file if it contains any of those characters.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    AzureSure New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?