cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files did not sync because of clock error

Files did not sync because of clock error

druffolo
New member | Level 2

Help! I traveled for work for 2 months and came back home.  My computer at home had the clock time from before I left.  So I synchronized the clock to internet time.  New work is now syncing.  However, Dropbox did not sync any of the work I did for 2 months (which is in Dropbox on the cloud) to my computer at home.  I think that is because of the clock issue - it doesn't recognize those 2 months of files as "new".

Is there any way to persuade Dropbox to do a general sync of all files, not only files that newly arrive on the cloud? 

Or is there another way to solve this problem?

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @druffolo, thanks for reaching out to us.

Syncing should be automatic and there's no option to force it, I'm afraid.

Are the updates you made to your files available on dropbox.com? Or just on your computer?

Is syncing finished now, or is the app still trying to sync?

You can see the sync status, by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

druffolo
New member | Level 2

Yes, the two months of updates are available on dropbox.com, but they are not syncing to my home computer.

My home computer says "Your files are up to date." Note that the clock jumping event was 3 days ago.  So it is not trying to sync with those two months worth of updates, but it syncs with new updates (since 3 days ago).  Thanks for asking.

The ability to request a general sync/check of all files would be a good feature to add to Dropbox in the future.

druffolo
New member | Level 2

I guess an extreme solution might be to uninstall Dropbox on my home computer and delete all files from Dropbox-syncing folders, and then reinstalling Dropbox so it downloads all the files again, including the files from those two months.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Could you give that a go and let us know how it goes then @druffolo?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

druffolo
New member | Level 2

Are there any less drastic/time consuming solutions? 

Mark
Super User II

A reinstall of Dropbox over the top should just resync everything - www.dropbox.com/downloading 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    druffolo New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?