cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File didn't sync or save and I cannot access the computer

File didn't sync or save and I cannot access the computer

julie123456
Explorer | Level 3

I have been working on a word file for months, saving it to Dropbox.

Yesterday my computer would not turn on. It is now in for service and I may or may not receive it back.

I think, no problem, my huge project is saved to dropbox. I opened it up to discover that it hasn't saved or synced since October 12th.

My questions are -- why did it suddenly stop syncing? And is there any way I can possibly find the former version of my document without the computer?

Thank you. 

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

HI there @julie123456 - sorry to hear about this.

When it comes to the syncing issue you mentioned, did you ensure that the Dropbox app was indeed running and syncing normally on your computer before this incident?

As for the previous version of the doc, have you tried taking a look at its version history?

Let me know how it goes, Julie. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

julie123456
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Walter. When I go to version history, the most recent version available is October 12th. Up until that date, everything was syncing as usual and I had no reason to believe it had stopped until this incident.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Did you double check your file on the website after your edits back then @julie123456?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rich
Super User II

@julie123456 wrote:

My questions are -- why did it suddenly stop syncing? And is there any way I can possibly find the former version of my document without the computer?

As mentioned, the Dropbox app was likely not syncing, either because it wasn't running or had an error. If it wasn't running, the icon would have been missing from your system tray or menu bar. If there was an error during the sync process, the Dropbox icon would have had an indicator on it showing that there was a problem that needed your attention.

Unfortunately, if the file wasn't syncing there's no way for Dropbox to recover the newest version. You'll need to get it from your local computer when it's returned to you. I'd suggest contacting the repair center and let them know that you need the content on the drive and that it shouldn't be wiped or the drive removed during the repair.

julie123456
Explorer | Level 3

So I managed to get my original computer back and charging again. However, when I opened it, the recovered file was the one from October 12th. And my computer is syncing to dropbox as if nothing ever happened. It's like it just decided not to save or sync between October 12th and today, but I didn't change anything between then and now. I've looked everywhere but can't determine where I could possibly access any version of the file between then. 

Need more support?