cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Email to Dropbox not working, no files uploading.

Email to Dropbox not working, no files uploading.

jamesalm
Helpful | Level 6

I've been using the email to dropbox function pretty consistently for a few months now. Just today I noticed it doesn't seem to be working. I have an application setup to email invoices to my dropbox email for later processing. The emails I sent this morning did not hit my folder (but the emails and files did go out). I tested it by sending an email from my regular email and the file I attached again did not make it to my folder. I confirmed the dropbox email hasn't been changed and I don't see anything on the dropbox status page about this being an issue. 

48 Replies 48

treebranchmedia
Helpful | Level 5

We are having this issue as well. This is MAJOR issue as we have other automations attached to when files arrive into our Dropbox via this method. It used to be fairly instantaneous, now it's hit or miss whether they even arrive. Doesn't seem to matter what kind of file or from what email address. 

jamesalm
Helpful | Level 6

Yeah it's definitely broken at this point. I also consider this feature mission critical. Last time I had luck when generating a new dropbox email address but that solution isn't acceptable to me. I have this email inputed into a few dozen different places and having to change it every few weeks just isn't worth the hassle.  Id rather use my free onedrive subscription and pay for zapier to get the same functionality w/o the hassle. 

ocHoco
Helpful | Level 6

So my documents arrived last night between about one and a half to two hours after I sent them.

And on trying just now I see it's back to instant.

For me, an occasional delay on the scale of one to two hours isn't currently a massive deal. I use it for personal/casual use and seldom need files to reach their destination instantaneously.

I totally understand though how for some of its users time could be critical, and how delays of these kind, should they become a regular feature, could drive these users away from Dropbox to a more reliable service.

Does anyone know if  this issue had ever been a 'thing' with Email to Dropbox prior to @jamesalm raising it here a month ago?

I'd been using Email to Dropbox for about six months, and never had it prior to last month. I also seem to recall finding only this single thread about it on these forums.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone! Hope you’re all doing well. 

Our team is aware of this and they’re working on a fix. As soon as we know something more, we’ll update you here. 

Other than that, you can also check our status page for more info.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

This issue should have been resolved for all users. Please let us know if it is still affecting you.

Email to Dropbox only works when files are attached, rather than included inline in the email itself. When using this feature, please make sure to add files as an attachment.

@IA Accounting can you try emailing your your file(s) as attachments and let us know if this is working for you?

Thanks,

Ben

IA Accounting
Helpful | Level 6

I discontinued the use of dropbox email and switched everything to file requests. That is more flexible. It appears that duplicates are not saved, which is a nice feature.

Overall, waiting solves most problems. I am good for now.

ocHoco
Helpful | Level 6

Email to Dropbox only works when files are attached, rather than included inline in the email itself. When using this feature, please make sure to add files as an attachment.

Such a statement as this from a Dropbox representative does not instil confidence.

Of course the file needs to be properly attached for Email to Dropbox, but the outages we've encountered and have reported here are not in any way to be accounted for because we weren't already doing this: The service simply stopped working the way it should for a reason that, as yet, Dropbox hasn't shared. 

Rather than make a statement that's not relevant to the issue, I'd be far happier to hear a concrete explanation for what happened, and confirmation that, as users, we can be confident about not needing to expect the issue again.

To state the issue "should have been resolved for all users" feels wholly reactive, when what we want is a diagnostic response, and to hear Dropbox is on of top of the problem and has taken action to prevent any recurrence. What I'm left with instead is a sense that Dropbox doesn't itself fully know/understand the outages' root cause, and consequently I don't feel reassured I won't be impacted again in the future. 

To be clear: I'm happy overall with Email to Dropbox, not least however because I, personally, have an alternative means of getting my documents to Dropbox whenever these admittedly fairly infrequent Email to Dropbox service outages occur.

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @ocHoco,

Thanks for your feedback here.

We have indeed addressed the root cause. For various reasons, we can't share the exact details of the cause and resolution of the outage.

If any users are still experiencing this or a related issue, we would like to know so that it can be addressed, as well as ensuring that users are clear on how Email to Dropbox works.

Regards,

Ben

jamesalm
Helpful | Level 6

not working......again

GreyFox386
Helpful | Level 5

I can confirm we are seeing the problem again too.  At this point, I would just like to ask not just that the issue be resolved, but can we have some kind of idea as to why this keeps happening, and what Dropbox IT can to to help improve reliability?

Need more support?