cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox ins not working properly with Windows 11 professional

Dropbox isn't syncing automatically on Windows 11

irrlady
Explorer | Level 3

I've seen a lot of discussion about Windows 11 and Dropbox, but I feel that my situation is a bit more unique in that I'm NOT running in S Mode. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox several times on this machine, AND I can't go back to Windows 10 as this is a new machine.

I have the Dropbox icon in my start menu and I have to click on it every time I restart or shut down my computer - AND - often times just randomly throughout the day. Once I do that, it seems to sync properly. I've tried everything! There has to be a fix on the company's part as windows 11 has been out long enough now. I LOVE dropbox - please don't make me go to another online p[platform because I can't get everything to sync right. HELP!!!

This is my business we are talking about.

8 Replies 8

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to our Community, @irrlady

First thing, I’d like a screenshot of the Dropbox icon you’re clicking on each time to make sure your Dropbox app is syncing. You can attach it here by clicking on the following button: 

In general, you shouldn’t need to click on anything for the Dropbox app to sync, since this is something that happens automatically (especially before turning off your computer).

Have you made sure your Dropbox app is set to automatically launch at every device startup via your app settings

Finally, what's the app version that Dropbox is using at the moment?

Let me know when you’re ready, and we’ll have a look.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

irrlady
Explorer | Level 3

irrlady_0-1719854494928.png

BLUE BOX IS MY DROPBOX ICON.

There is no dropbox app - I just downloaded dropbox and my IT guy figured out a way to pin the icon.  I assume it's the newest version as I just downloaded to the new computer a few weeks ago. And I assume it's starts when my computer does. But there is no app, so I don't know how to check the settings.

Thanks!!

irrlady
Explorer | Level 3

To further clarify... This instruction is not possible, as there is nothing to click on. If I click on the icon, nothing happens, except that it syncs the folder. it doesn't give me an avatar option. 

irrlady_1-1719854746851.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the extra info! The Dropbox icon you should be seeing is a smaller one showing in your system tray (close to your clock settings). If you can’t see it there, make sure to check for any hidden icons by clicking on a small arrow that should be there, as well.

This is what the Dropbox icon is looking like for reference.

In case this doesn't work either, go to your Start menu instead, open your Applications, and check if the Dropbox app is in the list. If yes, I’d like you to double click on it and let me know if the Dropbox icon appears after that.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

irrlady
Explorer | Level 3

found it - OPEN DROPBOX UPON STARTUP is on.  I'm using Version 202.4.5551

It says it's syncing. pretty much all the time. This morning my computer did NOT restart and I still can't access files. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @irrlady, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here as well.

Can you let us know exactly what you see when you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon Nancy mentioned?

You should see the version of the app and the sync status.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

irrlady
Explorer | Level 3

It says Up to Date. 

Version 202.4.5551

I'm still having issues with lagging with sync and often times the folders not syncing at all. I have this same set up on my old machine - but it's windows 10. I've got no issues on that machine. It's all hooked up to the same internet, the same way. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @irrlady, what was the sync status when you hovered over the icon? Could you try clicking it instead to see if you can see the message on the bottom left?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?