cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is re-syncing my files again?

Dropbox is re-syncing my files again?

Viqhaas M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Why on earth is this happening ?!? its resyncing everything again nothing has been changed why ?

114 Replies 114

Karsten H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same issue here this morning (OSX).

Restarted my macbook and got the dropbox login prompt as if this was the first time it has run (including re-entering 2 factor authentication code).  

It has been resyncing files for hours now when nothing had changed on the computer.  Not sure if this is because there was a bad client update or some other issue, but a very bad sign for my confidence level in Dropbox.

Very very very very annoying.

Lance S.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is what dropbox support is telling me:

"As I mentioned, the application indexes your files when you restart your computer, relink your computer, or when your computer comes back from Sleep Mode.

In this case your sync status will say that it is syncing your files. This is normal behavior."

Either I'm still stuck in Level 1 support land where they don't have a clue or I'm switching away from Dropbox. 

Karsten H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Lance S...  We've all seen the short download/index message when dropbox or a computer restarts.  This is nothing like that behavior.  Support is misleading you I suspect.  Looks to me like they might have pushed out a buggy update or something.

Its acting link there was a fresh client install on the computer and is doing a full resync.  The basic startup doesn't consume 30Mb of bandwidth for 4+ hours.  Since I restarted my computer dropbox has received 33GB of data with no signs of finishing.

Would really like some transparency from Dropbox on what the heck is going on here.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Would really like some transparency from Dropbox on what the heck is going on here.

You're only course of action is to open a ticket with Support and explain the issue to them.

Open your ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Lance S.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Rich R.   I originally opened my ticket on 7/14/15 for this issue.  Granted, I haven't had time to keep up the back and forth with all of the emails, but I haven't found support to be very useful.  Hence my turning to the forum!

Karsten H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@ Rich R.  Have opened a ticket but they say it is 24 to 48 hours to respond (on a Pro account).

... meanwhile drobox has downloaded 41GB on this PC alone since i got to work.  Brutal.

If this happens on my other PCs I have linked to this account, it will be a mess.

Alejandro H.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem (Dropbox making the complete resync again)... And reading your discussions, I understand there is no solution for this but wait the resync is completed... Am I wrong?

Lance S.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Alejandro,

I did have success in uninstalling dropbox completely, rebooting and reinstalling it on my laptop.  So far it appears to correct the problem. I am hopeful that it might work on my other computers. 

Good luck to you!

Alejandro H.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks a lot Lance! I`ll try with that.

Brian C.5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a pro account and since Ive started paying for that my mac keeps re-syncing??

Im using dropbox to store all my work (design and audio - theres a lot of it) but I cant access more recent files on other machines as my dropbox is repeatedly resyncing and pre-occupied with resyncing old files, files that havent been touched for months are saying they have just been updated, its hogging my bandwidth and making the whole point of my dropbox pointless.

This has only happened since I started paying for pro!! has anybody got any suggestions?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Angela S.21 New member | Level 1
    Rob D.2 New member | Level 1
    Craig M.18 Helpful | Level 5
    Martin M.21 New member | Level 1
    Matt B.73 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?