cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Well, the new update for Mac's a total shocker

Dropbox app stuck syncing after Mac update

Jeff A.11
Helpful | Level 5

After following the process to enable the "new" dropbox, files (709.4 MB) seem to have been moved as expected to ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox. However, after updating one of the files...Dropbox continues to continuously declare it to be "syncing!" No sync errors stated. Quitting the app and restarting did nothing to correct the problem. Logging out and back in again caused the continuous syncing to stop. However after another file update, the continuous syncing started again. How do I return to the previous Dropbox implementation because I cannot continue to deal with an app that does not function properly.

MacOS 12.6.2 (Dropbox V163.4.5456).

12 Replies 12

Jeff A.11
Helpful | Level 5

From what I have (at least so far) been able to determine, the issue I (and apparently others) am experiencing is not related specifically to the Dropbox app version but rather to the so-called upgrade to (as Dropbox puts it) "Dropbox for macOS is now ready. Update Dropbox to use it on the latest version of macOS." As long as that updated process IS NOT FOLLOWED, Dropbox seems to continue to operate properly. (The "update" mentioned moves the location of the local Dropbox folder from ~/Dropbox  to  ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox, after which the constant syncing issue develops.)

In my case, I created a small script that removes all the Dropbox-related files (those I was able to find), after which doing a clean/new Dropbox installation will create a "normal" operating environment (ie. without the Dropbox local folder being moved). My Dropbox version is currently showing as 168.4.4802, and I HAVE NOT elected to to the suggested "Dropbox for macOS" update, and everything is functioning normally, albeit an annoying red flag on the Dropbox Finder menu icon, imploring me to make the problematic upgrade. (But you can select "Get started" at the upgrade prompt, then cancel, and the flag goes away...at least for a while).

I'm not sure if this forum offers a way to contact/message a user directly, to exchange email addresses, but would be happy to (in whatever way might work) send the script to you should you wish to give that "solution" a try.

ginodimeo
Helpful | Level 7

That's really kind of you. So I've been tinkering and it seems that there were some issues with certain file types associated with legacy fonts that Dropbox took exception to while syncing, weirdly causing it (and my internet connection) to grind to a near halt. I deleted those files and it seemed to work okay. I'll see how I get now, but if it's still a grind I'll take you up on your offer. Thanks very much!

Jeff A.11
Helpful | Level 5

That is an excellent observation, and may very well be the root of this syncing issue. My files were Quicken data files...so perhaps the way Dropbox handles certain file types does not play well with the new "secure" Dropbox folder location. Although both Google Drive and Microsoft's One Drive now use that local storage location as well with no issues.

Need more support?