cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Preferences hangs when trying to change folder location

Dropbox Preferences hangs when trying to change folder location

corbow
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I decided to partition my hard drive and want to move the dropbox folder to the new partition (from C: to E:). Every time I try to move the folder using Dropbox Preferences, it just spins, and I get "Not Responding" in Task Manager. I'm running Windows 11 on a new MSI laptop. Has anyone else had this happen? Were you able to solve it? If so, please share how you did it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

corbow
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks, Walter! I figured out what was going on. Apparently my system was slowly identifying all the files to move. I decided to leave the "not responding" task running, and eventually I got a confirmation popup ("Are you sure you want to change the location?"). After I answered Yes to that dialog, my Dropbox folder was moved. It took a while, because I've been a bit lazy about file management--now I need to clean up duplicates!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @corbow, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

If this persists after rebooting your computer, could you send us a screenshot of the last screen you can get to?

Also, can you clarify the app's exact status and version as shown in your system tray?

Thanks so much!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

corbow
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks, Walter! I figured out what was going on. Apparently my system was slowly identifying all the files to move. I decided to leave the "not responding" task running, and eventually I got a confirmation popup ("Are you sure you want to change the location?"). After I answered Yes to that dialog, my Dropbox folder was moved. It took a while, because I've been a bit lazy about file management--now I need to clean up duplicates!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Ah, I see now - indexing your files might take a while indeed, especially with a large number of files stored on your account @corbow 

I'm glad to hear you're back up and running and please let us know if you have anything else to ask. 

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    corbow Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?