cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox in the web interface

Dropbox Files Take Up Hard Drive Space

Emeskay
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My laptop keeps showing me that my Dropbox files are taking up space on my hard drive.  I am certain they are syncing and on the cloud.  How do I resolve this?  Thanks.

28 Replies 28

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @gwilcken, sorry to hear you're having issues this.

If you've made sure that the app is 'up to date' and not still syncing in your computer's system tray/menu bar, then, the space might be taken up by the cache folder.

Could that be the case here?

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ISW
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I have smart synced all of the Dropbox files to Online Only, but still my Dropbox is taking up 250 GB on my hard drive. This is actual disc space, not estimated one. I'm a Mac user, using Dropbox pro. Any recommendations? 

Edit: Never mind, the cache file is the problem in my case. Thanks!

mgsallee
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It appears the storage on my computer has been almost completly used up by dropbox files.  I though the purpose of dropbox was for everything to be saved to a 'cloud' so that it does not use up space on my computer??  What am I doing wrong here?

Matt

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@mgsallee wrote:

I though the purpose of dropbox was for everything to be saved to a 'cloud' so that it does not use up space on my computer??

No, that's not the primary use of Dropbox. First and foremost, Dropbox is a file synchronization service, meant to keep the files stored in your local Dropbox folder synchronized with the copy stored in your account online. The Dropbox folder is not a cloud folder or drive where your files only exist online. The Dropbox folder is a regular folder just like any other, and anything stored in it takes up space on your drive.

Now, there are some features that help you save space. Selective Sync, available on all plans, can be used to remove the local copy of a folder from your Dropbox folder so that it only exists online. Any folders set this way are no longer accessible through Explorer (PC) or Finder (Mac), but can still be accessed through the Dropbox website.

Smart Sync, which is available on all paid plans allows you to mark files and folders as Online-only. A file or folder marked as such a way is removed from your computer and stored only online, but a placeholder is left behind so it appears as though the file or folder is still on your computer. Accessing such any files that are marked as Online-only will cause Dropbox to download them back to your computer so you can use them normally.

TerryNicholson99
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sorry, but I'm not very bright here. I use dropbox and I think the files I store in dropbox are in the cloud, but looking at my Mas they also seem to be copied onto the Mac as well as in the cloud. Have I set up dropbox incorrectly...any help would be gratefully received.

Thank you...Terry

nicolasben
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same Problem here

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi both 🙂

Thats how Dropbox works. Dropbox is designed, and intended, that files are both online and in the cloud. This means that things work when internet is offline etc. 

If you want to have stuff in cloud only use Online Only settings. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Roni5050
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello
I am workung with Dropbox
One of my reasons for using dropbook is that my hard disk is small
I thought that the files I save in the cloud will not take space on the hard drive
And it turns out I was wrong

Why is there double saving
What are the disadvantages of working in the Dropbox web interface versus working in Dropbox installed on a computer?

What should I do in order to transfer files that are now saved in Dropbox installed on the computer to files that will be saved in the web interface? As mentioned, I don't have enough space on my hard disk
Can it work on the 2 interfaces together? So some of the files will remain installed on the computer and some on the web interface?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for taking the time to post here, @Roni5050.

Just wanted to let you know that the Dropbox desktop app's job is to sync local versions of your files to your computer.

This allows you to access your Dropbox files and work on them, even if you're not connected to the internet and it's our preferred method of uploading/downloading larger files.

You can of course still use the website and if you'd like, you can also use our selective sync feature, which will help you remove entire folders from your Dropbox folder, but keep them on dropbox.com, to free up some of your space.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?