cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Files Take Up Hard Drive Space

Dropbox Files Take Up Hard Drive Space

Emeskay
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My laptop keeps showing me that my Dropbox files are taking up space on my hard drive.  I am certain they are syncing and on the cloud.  How do I resolve this?  Thanks.

28 Replies 28

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @FredericVT 

To upload initially they have to go in to your Dropbox folder locally. Thats the only way to upload via the software. Once they have then uploaded you can use the web interface to move them to a none sync'd folder or turn it to Online Only. However, you HAVE to do the local part first

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

FredericVT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Oh, that's bad news! I have huge files on external drives. I can't copy them locally first. So I need to change by dropbox directory to each external drive until everything is uploaded for the first time? I wish it was are easy as a FTP client...

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I'd not recommend changing drive lots... you risk data loss. All I can suggest is uploading in smaller batches

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

OR @FredericVT would https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/external-drive help?

FredericVT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Using smaller batches is not an option for me, my files are huge, hundreds of megs each. I'll try to external drive feature, thanks for pointing it to me. I have several drives and I need to backup a few files per drive, but maybe this is supported.

Undrbgt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why do large files I uploaded to Dropbox from my MacBook to free up storage space still count against my storage capacity?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Undrbgt, I'd be happy to respond to that! 

Do you use the desktop app, when you upload content to your Dropbox account?  If so, then keep in mind that since the app uses a local copy of your content, it'd make sense for the files and folders to take up space on the device. 

Also, can you clarify if you're referring to the device's storage space or your account's? 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Photon_wrangler
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Is there a difference between files that have only "place holders" in Selective Sync and can be downloaded to the computer and files that are On-line only in Smart Sync?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Photon_wrangler, with selective sync, there are no placeholders, the files literally do no exist on your machine, and will only appear on the site. 

Only Smart Sync with online-only files have placeholders on your machine.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gwilcken
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have this problem as well.  I have already set everything to online-only through smart sync.  It doesn't matter - the laptop that I use which I need to access my dropox with still screams that it's out of space, and that huge files in my dropbox are the problem.  I have looked everywhere and found no more options to set, no more menus to pull down... no matter what I do, DB is still claiming local HD space.

Please help. 

Need more support?