cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Beta: Files show both icons simultaneously - green circle and cloud-arrow - but are offl

Dropbox Beta: Files show both icons simultaneously - green circle and cloud-arrow - but are offline

THX1965
Helpful | Level 6

I just moved to Dropbox beta for Mac (the latest version). After the folder successfully showed up in my new location, all files and folders were set to "offline only" - very annoying, but I guess that's the default behavior now. I had hoped it would recreate the previous state of what's offline and what's online. I am on a fast fiber optics internet connection and my computer was on overnight. Everything stayed offline. I now have to manually click on every single little cloud icon...

But there is something else that's clearly a bug. Everything that was previously set to "available offline" (which was the majority of my files), now has the green downloaded circle (including the correct file size) and the "offline-only" cloud icon. When I click on any of these files, they are in fact offline and have to be downloaded.

Am I alone with this strange behavior?

Thanks. - Markus

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 10.40.12 AM.png

15 Replies 15

georgecwbrown
Explorer | Level 4

I upgraded to the Beta a few days ago & had this exact issue. I have zero idea why I have two different icons which I believe show the same thing but at the same time weren't accurate? Some files that I had the green tick for still had to be downloaded? It was very confusing. I'd even right clicked some files to make them available offline, they appeared to be downloaded, but on double clicking they started downloading again - wild!

I work in a photography/retouching workflow & also found that thumbnails for TIFS would no longer update/re-render an up to date thumbnail when files were edited. There were a bunch more issues that I really tried my best to work with, however after a few days of trying I've given up & opted out of the beta.

3 main killer issues with the beta:

- This article's green circle & cloud arrow inconsistency and inaccuracy

- thumbnail issue mentioned above

- when right clicking sync a folder to become offline, the old stable version shows you each file being downloaded & the progress of the downloads: the beta has none of this.

Every issue I had now has gone since returning to the old file location in the user folder. I sincerely hope I don't get forced back into it anytime soon as it really broke my workflow. I do realise its a beta but so many quality of life problems currently exist, it's super concerning. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @THX1965 and @georgecwbrown! I hope you’re both doing well. 

After the Dropbox update for MacOS, the syncing icons you’re seeing are a bit different indeed. If you haven’t done so already, can you please take a look at this Help Center article and let me know if you have any questions afterwards?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

georgecwbrown
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy,

I know 🙂 I had the green ticks as I had made the files 'available offline' however it also had the 'online only' icon as well. Many of my files had both of the status symbols. However on attempting to open the files it decided to download them again.

I don't want to hijack this thread as I've opted out of the beta & resolved my own problem. So I'll hush now 🙂

georgecwbrown
Explorer | Level 4

I might add that both me & TH1965 know what the icons mean, we're not confused there. We just have both of them at the same time which I imagine shouldn't be possible? Something can't be 'available offline' & 'online-only' - one of them is lying. We have both made sure these files are supposed to be available offline, however on opening it re-downloads it... so... to conclude:
- Files we make available offline aren't actually being made available offline, it's giving it a green tick, but they're in fact staying 'online only' in reality until we try & open them.

THX1965
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Nancy - thanks for the article. Yes, I have seen it and, of course, I am well familiar with the new icons.

However, a file can't be both - online-only (cloud+arrow) and available offline (green checked circle).

In these strange cases where both icons are showing, the green circle shouldn't be there because these files are only available online.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, the engineering team is aware of this and are currently working on it.

Once we have more info, we'll update you as well.

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

all-at-once
Explorer | Level 3

Hello. I have the similar problems as described by THX1965 and georgecwbrown

I am using a MacBook Air with macOS Ventura 13.2, and Dropbox folder in my User home:

-- All Dropbox folders and files were recently automatically moved to online only status. Most annoying. I first discovered this when I was offline and needed to open a large mp4 quickly. I had to find an internet connection and then wait for the file to download from Dropbox cloud.

-- Right clicking a folder and choosing Make available offline. Get greencheck icon for folder. But each file in the folder has a green checkmark and a cloud icon. It appears that I must open each file to change to true offline status, green icon only.

-- Apparently this problem is not limited to a Beta version:

I do not recall the sequence - some months ago, I upgraded to Ventura and about the same time accepted the invitation from Dropbox to move my Dropbox folder from root to my User home. Initially, my choices for online only and offline were as before this move. I did not check the status of all folders and files, but I did not notice the double icon problem or the online only status of all files until sometime in the recent 2 weeks.

georgecwbrown stated a workaround: "...opted out of the beta & resolved my own problem."  I am a beta-never user, but in case somehow I unknowingly was using a Beta, I found the page: https://help.dropbox.com/account-settings/beta_opt_out . In my menu bar icon Prefs/General, I do not have the option "Leave beta experience".

(I also logged into dropbox.com and checked that Early Releases has been targeted to Off.)

Until you sort this out, can you suggest any workarounds?

Possible to reinstall Dropbox? But even so, in your version history of my account, do you have the previous selections of files/folders for online only or offline?

While looking at various Dropbox pages, I recall a mention that if local disk space is low, Dropbox may declare some files as online only status. With my 250 Gb SSD, I do flirt with low free space, sometimes dropping to only about 10 Gb. When this happens, I should get an alert and a reminder of the option to set some files to online only. It's rather rude if your algos decide in my place, especially when all files and folders are wholesale removed from my machine.

Thank you for your help.

all-at-once
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Hannah , Hi @Nancy ,

April 16, 2023

Please see my previous note from about 4 weeks ago (mid-March).

My Dropbox version is 171.4.6182, which is apparently the most stable release. I did not note which version or versions were installed when I wrote that note, or when the problem began. I am tempted to download a dmg to install a previous stable version, corresponding to the time when I first accepted the move of the Dropbox folder from my root to the User path. At that time, initially I did not have the problems described. If this might resolve the problem, which version would you suggest?

And if this works for me, how can I prevent the automatic update to current versions that are problematic?

Thanks

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @all-at-once, sorry for the late response.

If you're still having issues with this, could you try the following steps and let us know how it goes?

1. Open Finder.
  2. Right-click the Dropbox folder
  3. Click Make online-only or Make available offline to reset.

Note: You will need to select the Dropbox folder (as in the image below) to apply this setting to all files and folders.

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 9.44.38 AM (1).png

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?