cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't want files online only

Don't want files online only

philmguy
Explorer | Level 4

I just moved to the new Mac version yesterday. I want to make sure that Dropbox doesn't make any of my files online-only. Is there something I need to do in my settings or will any new files be on both my Mac and online by default? I see in my settings that the Dropbox system extension is installed and on.

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @philmguy, thanks for posting to the Dropbox Community.

With the Dropbox for macOS app, all new files synced to your computer, will sync as online-only by default.

There's no way to change this, I'm afraid.

I hope this clarifies things, but let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bjc
Explorer | Level 4

Same request : it is crucial that my files be store locally, as I'm working remotely with a laptop that is not always connected to the internet. I need the files to be stored locally by default. I can not do that manually, it is time-consuming and it leads to errors.

philmguy
Explorer | Level 4

That seems rather odd that Dropbox wouldn't offer the option to not have new files be online-only.

I just created a test file in Word and saved it to Dropbox. When I look at it in Finder and right click it, one of the options I have is to Make Online-Only, which would seem to indicate it is in fact on my computer and not online-only. Can you clarify that?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

philmguy Explorer | Level 4
    bjc Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?