cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disable Status Column

Disable syncing status column on Windows Explorer

Rob M1
Explorer | Level 3

I have tried to disable Status column in Windows Explorer, however, it keeps coming back.  Can you tell me how to permanently stop showing this column?

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Rob M1 - welcome to the Community!

I'm not quite sure to what you're referring to exactly. Could you please send us a screenshot so that we can make sure we're on the same page?

Thanks so much!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rob M1
Explorer | Level 3

See below for the Status Column that I am are trying to remove.

RobM1_0-1720528582186.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot @Rob M1 - much appreciated. 

These columns are handled by your computer's OS and not Dropbox. Could you let us know why you'd like to disable the syncing status column on your computer? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rob M1
Explorer | Level 3

It is in the way.  Can we show the syncing a different way through our OS (windows 11)?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Rob M1.

Apart from the sync status of the entire app, which can be found by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your system tray, that column is the only way to see the sync status of each file in your Dropbox.

I'll happily pass your feedback along to our team, though, so thanks for your comments.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rob M1
Explorer | Level 3

This makes no sense.  It is only happening on one of our computers.  All of our other 5 computers show the status with the file name. There's got to be a solution since the other 5 computers do not have it.  Please advise.

Rich
Super User II

@Rob M1 wrote:

This makes no sense.  It is only happening on one of our computers.  All of our other 5 computers show the status with the file name.

Your other 5 computers haven't yet received the update for Windows. When they do, they'll have the same status column. There's no way to revert back to the previous behavior, and this is a change that's likely being driven more by Microsoft and the newer features of Windows 11, rather than Dropbox.

a4a980bd7828cd59246a4aa98793514d.png

Rob M1
Explorer | Level 3

Is there a way to set it up so it shows little green check boxes nest to the files/folders.  See below snippet for example of how other computers look.

RobM1_0-1720555787448.png

DBoxTips
Experienced | Level 11

Hello @Rob M1,

Similar to the changes made on macOS with the File Provider API, on Windows 11 Dropbox is switching its desktop client to use the cloud files API. This was most likely driven by a need of Dropbox to offload the implementation of "Smart Sync"/ Online-only files feature to use the built-in operating system support found in newer versions of the OS, as opposed to implementing it themselves (like they did so far).

Part of using this new built-in operating system feature also means switching from using sync state icons (which are overlays on top of the existing icons, just like in the screenshot that you shared) to using a column in Windows Explorer for displaying the sync state of a file/folder.

For now the only way I found to show sync state icons instead of a sync state column is to contact Dropbox support and ask them to disable the "new Windows experience" for your Dropbox account. If I find any other way I will report back here.

Hope this helps.

Andrew (DBoxTips) 

I am an individual contributor to the Dropbox Community forums, not affiliated with Dropbox in any way. All opinions expressed here are my own.

Need more support?