cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop, Downloads and Document folders have disappeared on macbook after uninstalling dropbox

Desktop, Downloads and Document folders have disappeared on macbook after uninstalling dropbox

tomikobako
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi all, 

I recently moved all my files in Desktop, Downloads and Document folders to iCloud to back them up before uninstalling dropbox. As soon as I uninstalled dropbox, these folders have disappeared on macbook, only their alias exist on the macbook. When I look at the same folders in iCloud, it is empty. Perhaps I didn't unsynch Dropbox from my macbook before uninstalling, and my folders are somehow still in my Dropbox account (which I don't know how to access now)? 

I can see there are similar but not exactly the same queries here. The other queries and their solutions doesn't seem to apply to my sad case. Help and suggestions much appreciated. Thank you. 

13 Replies 13

tomikobako
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Hannah,

Thanks - the back ups automatically happened between my Mac and Dropbox after reinstall. I was then able to untick the folders that I wanted back on my Mac and that worked. I can now use my Downloads, Documents and Desktop folders on my Mac and the backups have been disabled.
I guess I’ll just leave Dropbox there… it seems unsafe to delete the app?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you made sure that the Backup is disabled now, you should be safe to uninstall the desktop app if you like as outlined here.

Let us know if you have any other questions @tomikobako 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

tomikobako
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Walter,

Thanks for the reply, I made sure backups were disabled then “quit” Dropbox from the menu bar. But when I dragged Dropbox from Finder menu to trash, it said it couldn’t because some “extensions are being used”. Every so often Dropbox will reactivate(?) and I notice it because suddenly my Mac goes very very slow. I quit Dropbox again from menu bar and Mac operates at normal speed. ?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @tomikobako, could you try quitting all open applications and anything running in the menu bar, including the Dropbox desktop application, and then try uninstalling the app using the steps my colleague suggested, to ensure no other apps are trying to use the service?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    tomikobako Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?