cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop App stuck on "Updating Dropbox account..." after 10/14 Update was Pushed Out

Desktop App stuck on "Updating Dropbox account..." after 10/14 Update was Pushed Out

abelke
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

I logged on this morning to find that my desktop app (Windows 10) for Dropbox is stuck on "Updating Dropbox Account..." and won't budge. I even attempted to re-install Dropbox, and that didn't work. Can someone help me with this, please?

Thanks,

Aimee

screenshot of message from windows appscreenshot of message from windows app

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

abelke
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

I decided to try @rodneyseverson workaround and do an uninstall/reinstall of Dropbox, and that seemed to work.

I'd rather not have taken this solution because deleting and re-downloading over 700 GB of assets isn't ideal, but I couldn't wait any longer at work.

Thanks anyway for your help. Please remember this when sending out new patches of Dropbox in the future.

Thanks,

Aimee

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear about this, @abelke

Can you let me know the exact type of update you had right before this issue started on your desktop app? 

Also, how many files does your local Dropbox folder currently contain (you can double check this by right clicking on your Dropbox folder > selecting “Properties”)?

Finally, what’s the current app version of your Dropbox app? 

Let me know, when you’ve got more details.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

abelke
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the quick reply. The update that happened is specifically this one:

https://help.dropbox.com/plans/upcoming-business-team-changes?_camp=16203&_tk=prompt_top#moreorg

According to the new local folder created based on this update, I've got 154.6 GB of files in this folder. Overall, I've got a total of 729 GB of assets synced from Dropbox to my desktop using the Dropbox app.

I've got Dropbox v184.4.6543 installed.

Let me know if you need more info or clarification on my responses.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @abelke, sorry to jump in here and thanks for the additional information.

Can you please let us know how long has the desktop app been stuck like that after the update took place? 

Have you rebooted your computer at all since you first noticed this? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

abelke
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

It's been stuck since Saturday (the day of the patch update). And yes, I have rebooted my computer since then.

JonB86
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I am also experiencing the same issue since the patch and I am on the same version.  A possible culprit is that since the update is that my local windows dropbox app mapping is no longer aligned with the file structure I can see on dropbox.com

rodneyseverson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am also having the same issue.

I have 35 users, and two thirds of them are now stuck on 'Updating Dropbox Account' like the OP. Same patch, same version, same issue. I reached out to support and the issue was escalated, but I'm still waiting on a reply. If they are able to resolve it, I'll post what they did here.

This issue seems to happen in both Windows 10 and 11 Pro, but definitely 11 Pro more. A few users have just given up entirely, uninstalled Dropbox, reinstalled, and re-synced everything from scratch. Hoping for a solution that isn't this, though. 

JonB86
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My windows file explorer structure has now realigned with what I can see on dropbox.com.  Unfortunately i don't have a clear set instructions to share on how I achieved this, but something along the line of below seemed to help:

1) Make a random folder path online only

2) Close dropbox app

3) Ensure there are no new files you want to sync (if you do then do this manually via browser) and .dropbox.cache/new_files

4) Restart comp

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks @JonB86 for sharing your experience! I'm glad to see that things are back to normal for you.

How about you, @abelke and @rodneyseverson? Does the issue persist?

If you can also give us your ticket number here, @rodneyseverson that would be really helpful.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

abelke
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

I decided to try @rodneyseverson workaround and do an uninstall/reinstall of Dropbox, and that seemed to work.

I'd rather not have taken this solution because deleting and re-downloading over 700 GB of assets isn't ideal, but I couldn't wait any longer at work.

Thanks anyway for your help. Please remember this when sending out new patches of Dropbox in the future.

Thanks,

Aimee

Need more support?