cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot create a new folder when using the browser.

Cannot create a new folder when using the browser.

Stephen851
Explorer | Level 4

This pesky bug still roams the dropbox community...

When I start to create new folders, I get the same error daily

"Cannot create new folder"

90% of the time I can create the first folder without issue. The second I go make my second, third or forth folder, I get the error over and over and over and over. I have to wait several minuets for it to clear and then it will create a new folder. Its almost like some spam/security issue in the system. Its been this way for a very long time, at least a year or two. Doesnt matter if you clear your browsers clean and or use different browser like safari or google chrome. 

Already searched the web/forms to see drobpox tips and tricks to fix and nothing has solved the pesky issue. 

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Stephen851 , welcome to our Community! 

Do you immediately try to create a second folder after you've just created your first one? Do you get the error when trying to create a subfolder or a folder to the root of your account? 

I'd also love a screenshot of the error you get on your end, in order for me to have a visual too. 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Stephen851
Explorer | Level 4
Yes, I make folders immediately one after another. Sometimes up to 6 folders.

In extremely rare cases it doesn’t stop me. Once every hundred tries maybe. And sometimes you have to wait over 5 minutes for it to let you even create the second folder. It’s insane.

I don’t have a screenshot now but ive sent one in to support at least once. All it does it show a message that it can’t create a folder exactly where it will say folder created. People have posted the same screen shot in here as well that you commented on. Nothing different but I’ll work on getting the same thing posted here.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Stephen851 , I see, thanks for letting me know. 

I'm guessing this might have to do with how fast you create one folder after the other, and the limit when using our website. 

However, in order to gather more info about this, and possibly even send it to our team to check this out, would you mind sending me a screenshot of the error message you receive on your end?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

matt38
Helpful | Level 5

I'm trying to use Synology Cloud Sync to upload files to Dropbox and I think I'm running into the same issue.  It's taking forever for the sync tool to create the folders in Dropbox.  It makes like 1 or 2 folders and then waits 5 minutes before trying again.  At this rate it's going to take a year to sync our NAS to Dropbox!

I was also trying to use Cyberduck to upload files (with folder structures) to Dropbox but keep getting the error cannot create folder after it creates the first folder and then fails to create additional folders.

matt38
Helpful | Level 5

This issue may only be related to Team Folders.  I tested Cyberduck against my user folder and did not encounter the same issue. It is very import to us that this issue with Team Folders is fixed.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @matt38, can you please update Synology Cloud Sync if you're not on version 2.6.3 or higher, to see if that helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?