cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upload a large file overnight in power saving mode?

Can I upload a large file overnight in power saving mode?

david h.17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was uploading a large file and left it over night with 2 hours to go. In the morning, 7 hours later, it still had 1 hour to go. What has happened here?
I have looked at all the help and can find nothing. I sent an email and it replied with no help, it just redirected me back to the faqs?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

My energy saver preferences are set to wake for network access, which I assume...

No, this is a false assumption and not what that tool is for.

If you want your computer to stay awake, then temporarily adjust your computers power management settings.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

When something goes "bump in the dark" (this has happened to me) sometimes it helps to simply pause-sync, resume-sync. If that does not work make sure you are not using the web interface but just putting files in the dropbox-folder!

david h.17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So normally the upload should continue until complete even if your computer falls asleep?

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

So normally the upload should continue until complete even if your computer falls asleep?

Of course not, if your computer is asleep then it isn't doing anything.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

It has happened to me that my "power saving" settings are tied to keyboard activity, not to internet traffic, so computer goes to "sleep" and transfers stop. THEN the computer wakes up and calculates "gee, it took 10 hours to send 100 MB, sooo it'll take yea long to send 10GB".
For long transfers set the ethernet capable of waking the computer.

david h.17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just to clarify my question a little more clearly. Should uploads continue and computer stay awake when there is no other activity other than the upload taking place?

My energy saver preferences are set to wake for network access, which I assume should also mean do not fall asleep during network access?

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

My energy saver preferences are set to wake for network access, which I assume...

No, this is a false assumption and not what that tool is for.

If you want your computer to stay awake, then temporarily adjust your computers power management settings.

david h.17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, thank you.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

david h.17 New member | Level 2
    Robert S. Super User alumni
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?