cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I selectively sync certain folders on the Dropbox app on Android?

Can I selectively sync certain folders on the Dropbox app on Android?

Liciarov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,
while it's very clear to me how to apply the selective synchronization on PC, I don't know how to apply it on Android. I have an old tablet and I'd like to synchronize only one folder in it. I didn't find the procedure.
How can I do it?
Thank you,
Liciarov

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Liciarov wrote:
In other words: I'd like to have only this specific folder in my old tablet, that I use only to read books.

That's not how the mobile apps works. They simply show you everything that's in your account. The folders don't sync to the device. You can mark a file or folder as available offline, but beyond that the mobile apps don't sync like the desktop apps. Any other files you open will be stored on the device temporarily, which is what you see happening. There's no way to prevent that.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Liciarov, thanks for reaching out to us.

Selective sync is actually a feature that's available only on our desktop app and not the mobile app.

Keep in mind that folders and files don't take up space on the mobile app; what you're seeing is something like snapshots of your files.

Are you trying to free up space on your phone or simply remove folders from the Dropbox app, so they don't appear in your folder list?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Liciarov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Hannah,
and thank you for your quick response.

I'm simply trying to free space from my tablet. My whole Dropbox app on the tablet reaches 4 or even 5 gigabytes, so the only way I can continue using my tablet is cancelling cashe and datas from the app, after which operation it only uses the megabytes of the app. But as soon as I open the only folder that I need (on the tablet, because in PC I use everything), the app reaches 2 or more gigas, and the gigas increase when I open one or more of the files I want to use.

In other words: I'd like to have only this specific folder in my old tablet, that I use only to read books.
I use all the other folders I have in Dropbox, and I don't have problems with my smartphone and PC because they have much more space.
Thank you in advance if you can give me some hints
Liciarov

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Liciarov wrote:

That's not how the mobile apps works. They simply show you everything that's in your account. The folders don't sync to the device. You can mark a file or folder as available offline, but beyond that the mobile apps don't sync like the desktop apps. Any other files you open will be stored on the device temporarily, which is what you see happening. There's no way to prevent that.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Liciarov Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?