cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ability to install Dropbox on any hard drive

Can I move the Dropbox installation folder to use the Dropbox Backup feature?

Kathy15
Explorer | Level 3

Evidently (according to Dropbox support person) Dropbox can only be installed on a computer's c: drive.  I want to install it on my d: drive where all my important files are so I can use Dropbox Backup.  The support person said to move all your files to the c: drive to use backup, but obviously this is not possible with "modern" computers that have a smaller SSD drive for programs and store data on other larger internal hard drives. I can't believe that there is no option that allows users to select the location to install Dropbox.  Pretty old school/controlling and very limited usefulness.  

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Kathy15, thanks for messaging the Community.

Just for clarification, are you referring to the Dropbox desktop application installation files itself, or the Dropbox folder where the files are synced?

This will help me to assist further.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kathy15
Explorer | Level 3

It is my understanding that in order to run Dropbox Backup, the desktop application needs to be installed on the same disk as the files you want to run Backup on.  The folder I want to use for Backup is not on my c: drive because my c: drive is an SSD and too small to hold the folder.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox Backup feature isn't related to where the Dropbox desktop application is installed, but where the system folders such as Desktop, Documents and Downloads are located. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kathy15
Explorer | Level 3

OK.  The system folders are all on the ssd boot drive (c:) but I will try to move those three system folders to my d: drive and see if it works.  

Need more support?