cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bulk Send - CSV file formatting

Bulk Send - CSV file formatting

1000songs
Explorer | Level 3

Trying to bulk send and have four fields 

Company

Signature

Full Name

Title

No matter what I do, Bulk Send is only expecting two fields: Full Name and Email. Doesn't matter if I have Dropbox create the .csv or if I create it myself. The error is "Expected 2 fields on row 1, found 4"

Do the fields have to be tagged in a particular way?

14 Replies 14

1000songs
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks all - can we get back to figuring out how my csv fields have to be formatted and which roles need to be assigned? I have 4 fields (Company, Signature, Full Name, Title) and I have all this data - I don't want the recipient to have to do anything but sign. 

Unfortunately, whatever I do, Dropbox chokes saying it expects 2 fields and sees 4.  The instructions here are clear as mud https://faq.hellosign.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026162552-How-to-send-signature-requests-in-bulk

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 8.53.50 PM.png

 Thank you!!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot @1000songs 

May I ask what Dropbox Sign plan you're on at the moment? 

This feature is available to Dropbox Sign users on Standard and Premium plans at the moment - that's why I'm asking. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

1000songs
Explorer | Level 3

Walter - I am on a Standard Plan. That was the FIRST issue - even though Bulk Send was included in our plan, it wasn't activated. It took FOUR days for someone to turn it on. More importantly, I have resolved the issues on my own through trial and error, as both the FAQ and the Dropbox support have been either lacking or, quite simply, wrong (see below).

1. The main issue is that the instructions for bulk send are awful once you move away from the standard name and email mail merge (which is easy). https://faq.hellosign.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026162552-How-to-send-signature-requests-in-bulk There are no instructions on which fields need to be assigned to which user in the template, and without those details, it's bound to fail. 

RESOLVED - here is how the template needs to be formatted (see below). Any fields other than name and signature need to be assigned to the SENDER (in PINK). 

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 1.43.30 PM.png

2. The support from Dropbox has been, quite simply, painfully slow and completely incorrect. If the template is formatted correctly (see #1 above), the "download csv template" absolutely, 100% generates the absolutely 100% correct .csv template for the merge data. I was told the exact opposite by Dropbox support (see below)

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 1.40.38 PM.png

RESOLVED - If you format the template with the correct User Roles, Dropbox DOES generate the correct .csv file.

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 1.51.41 PM.png

RESOLVED - here is the document, sent using Bulk Send, with the .csv file generated by the "download .csv template" button and the Company Name, Name of Signatory and Title all generated automatically using the .csv file. 

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 2.06.01 PM.png

 

 

1000songs
Explorer | Level 3

While working through this issue, I also asked Customer Support how to deal with signatories whose names don't fit the "firstname, lastname" restriction in Dropbox sign. I was told there is no workaround (see below).

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 8.29.48 PM.png

RESOLVED - once you know how the .csv files need to be formatted AND the roles that need to be assigned, there is a very simple (but not documented) workaround.

1. Here is how the template needs to be formatted (see below). You need a textbox assigned to the SENDER where you would normally just have the "Full Name" field assigned to the recipient. 

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 8.34.38 PM.png

2. Then you need your .csv file to look like this (which you CAN automatically generate using the "download .csv template"):

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 9.02.06 PM.png

3. Now your recipient will receive a document with their proper name (see below)!

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 8.54.04 PM.png

 

It would be fantastic if Dropbox had accurate documentation and sample files. This was SIX Days to get 33 signatures. Would have taken 5 minutes with DocuSign (100 signatory limit instead of 20).

Walter
Dropbox Staff

First off I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us, as well as the steps in order to make it work.

That will help out anyone else who runs into the same issue in the future. We really appreciate it and we've also provided your feedback to the team so the information is present on our side.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us and sharing the solution too.

As for your last reply, you can perhaps post it in our Share an Idea area so that other users can up-vote it too.

Let us know if you have anything else to add @1000songs

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?