cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Both green check mark and cloud icon on folders which I marked "make available offline" on Mac OS

Both green check mark and cloud icon on folders which I marked "make available offline" on Mac OS

Garethahill
Explorer | Level 4

Apple M1 Pro

16GB RAM

macOS Sonoma 14.4

Dropbox v194.4.6267

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 9.51.27 PM.png

For some time now I have been unable to set files or folders as "available offline" in actuality. The check mark next to the file or folder changes to a green tick when I choose to "make available offline" but the cloud icon (seems this is a macOS icon, not a Dropbox one) remains and the file does not download unless I try to open it, at which point it downloads and becomes an offline file.

I have scoured the forums and the only article I can find was from the Dropbox Beta some time ago and that didn't seem to get resolved.

Does anyone have a workaround or solution for this?

I also have Google Drive running on my Mac and thought this may be an issue so uninstalled it but no luck.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

When you uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox, did you perform an advanced reinstallation?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Garethahill, thanks for providing these details!

This article should explain what the two icons mean when they appear at the same time.

For those folders with the two icons, could you try again with marking them as available offline?

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Garethahill
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the article. This doesn't explain it. I have tried marking the files and folders: "make available offline" and nothing changes. Keep in mind, it's not only folders that have both icons, it's both files and folders.

The only way to get rid of the cloud icon is to try to open a file. Then it downloads and becomes truly available offline.

I have tried selecting "make online-only" on the entire Dropbox folder, which works fine.

Then I attempt to mark all files and folders as "available offline" and the app indicates it's syncing around 500GB of data but it completes in around 60 seconds and I am back where I started with the same problem as per the image i posted in my first message.

I have had Dropbox for over 10 years and so am fairly experienced with it.

Short of trying to download every single file (one by one) in my Dropbox folder (there are 48,800 of them) I don't know what to do to fix this.

I have uninstalled & reinstalled Dropbox. I have uninstalled & reinstalled Google Drive (which to be honest I am considering moving to now) thinking there may be a conflict, but nothing works.

Surely I am not the only one with this issue.

Please advise of a method to reindex or reset settings to force Dropbox or my Mac to discard existing settings and start again. 

Cheers

Jay
Dropbox Staff

When you uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox, did you perform an advanced reinstallation?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Garethahill
Explorer | Level 4
Hi there, thanks for posting this article. This solved it, thank you!

dropitlikeitshot1
Helpful | Level 6

@Garethahill  Which article are you referring to that solved this issue?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dropitlikeitshot1 Helpful | Level 6
    Garethahill Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?