cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are diacritics in filenames now allowed?

Are diacritics in filenames now allowed?

mr_neffets
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just a week or so ago, I had to go through a process of renaming a bunch of pdfs because they included diacritics (e.g. á, ü, ç) in the file name and dropbox wouldn't upload them. I accidentally added a file with a diacratic today and it worked. Is this issue finally fixed? I can't find any update news saying this was changed, but it appears to work for me know. Just wanted to double check before I start allowing for them in my filenames again.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @mr_neffets,

Unfortunately nothing has been fixed yet. Dropbox support only Basic Multilingual Plane subset of all Unicode code points. 🤷 As far as I know this never changed.

@mr_neffets wrote:

Just a week or so ago, I had to go through a process of renaming a bunch of pdfs because they included diacritics (e.g. á, ü, ç) in the file name and dropbox wouldn't upload them. ...

Whatever is reason for your need to rename all pdf-s you mentioned, it's NOT definitely the symbols mentioned! Those symbols code points are:

• á -> U+00E1
  • ü -> U+00FC
  • ç -> U+00E7

That means, they are part of Latin-1 Supplement, part of Basic Multilingual Plane. Most probably there were other symbol(s) that resides out of supported subset. Just take care to use only supported symbols (or their representations - sometimes same glyph can be represented in different ways/codes). Let's hope some day entire Unicode set will be supported... Let's hope... 🤷 By now Dropbox refuses such support.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @mr_neffets,

Unfortunately nothing has been fixed yet. Dropbox support only Basic Multilingual Plane subset of all Unicode code points. 🤷 As far as I know this never changed.

@mr_neffets wrote:

Just a week or so ago, I had to go through a process of renaming a bunch of pdfs because they included diacritics (e.g. á, ü, ç) in the file name and dropbox wouldn't upload them. ...

Whatever is reason for your need to rename all pdf-s you mentioned, it's NOT definitely the symbols mentioned! Those symbols code points are:

• á -> U+00E1
  • ü -> U+00FC
  • ç -> U+00E7

That means, they are part of Latin-1 Supplement, part of Basic Multilingual Plane. Most probably there were other symbol(s) that resides out of supported subset. Just take care to use only supported symbols (or their representations - sometimes same glyph can be represented in different ways/codes). Let's hope some day entire Unicode set will be supported... Let's hope... 🤷 By now Dropbox refuses such support.

Hope this helps.

Sparkle Muffin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have macrons in my filenames that are preventing proper syncing. Macrons are needed for disambiguation of romanized Japanese.

Macrons are supported as part of the Basic Multilingual Plane (U+014D for ō, for example), but they do not work properly in Dropbox syncing.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Sparkle Muffin,

I can't add too much, unfortunately. Most probably you have some other incorrect symbol or representation. Macrons are part of Latin Extended-A subset part of Basic Multilingual Plane. I just created a set a test file name using macrons:

изображение.png

... and as can be seen it works. Check some formatting symbols (if you have some) - very often there are some unintentional changes in such places.

Good luck.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Sparkle Muffin New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?