cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin refuses to unsync my account.

Admin refuses to unsync my account.

djdraws
Explorer | Level 3

admn refuses to unsync my dropbox account

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @djdraws, let's jump right into this!

Can you share some additional details with me, in order to fully grasp the issue? 

Are you part of a Dropbox team, and you wish to get removed from it or is it something different?

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

djdraws
Explorer | Level 3
I am a member of a small art Gallery and allowed my Dropbox account to be synced to our Gallery Account which is used by 15 people. I can no longer enter or change anything in my DBx as the space has been taken over by the others. I have repeatedly asked to have the Admn unsync my account and they have refused. How do I re- gain the use of my account ? If they do not release it as of Aug 1 - I will be deleting this account and what will happen with info in the account ? Will they lose the info ? I dont want to do this but I want my account back for my personal use - not for the Gallery. Need help please !!!

Rich
Super User II

@djdraws wrote:
I ... allowed my Dropbox account to be synced to our Gallery Account which is used by 15 people. I can no longer enter or change anything in my DBx as the space has been taken over by the others.

There are two possible scenarios here and we need to understand which one you're in before we'll know how to help you. This might seem complicated so try to bear with me for a minute, please.

If you were invited to and joined the gallery's Business team account, then you merged your account into their team, effectively making them the owner of your account. In this scenario you cannot leave the team on your own because your account is no longer yours; it's theirs. The team admin needs to either remove your account from the team (which would delete it) or convert your account back to an individual account, which would return it to you. Only the team admin can do this. Not even Dropbox can do it for you.

If you were only sent an invitation to a shared folder, then the gallery admin has no control over your account or the files within it. In this scenario you can simply leave the shared folder and the files will be removed from your Dropbox.

What steps, exactly, did you take to gain access to the files? Please be specific (step by step, even) so we know which scenario you're in.

djdraws
Explorer | Level 3
not sure how they took possession of my account but I cant even access it now so I dont know whats in it & see no option to unsync/link - did see that the Gallery appears to be the owner and not sure how that happened but they refuse to release my account to an individual account - do I need to delete this account in order to be released ?

Mark
Super User II

If they are the owner you probably cannot delete it either.

The only other option would be to create a new account with a differing email.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    djdraws Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?