cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I access "My Documents" on a different computer?

Can I access "My Documents" on a different computer?

JimmyInTN
Explorer | Level 3

I think my Windows 10 profile has gotten corrupted. On the login screen, there is no password box, just a link to Sign In and when I click that, eventually a dark gray box pops up with no text or anything in it. Eventually it closes and goes back to the login screen. In order to save room on the hard drive, I had the My Documents folder hosted on Dropbox. If I were to install Dropbox on an old gateway laptop I have, would I be able to get access to the My Documents that I had saved from my laptop that bit the dust?

8 Replies 8

Vicker
Super User

Hi, @JimmyInTN ,

Assuming that your Windows 10 computer already synced the files to Dropbox, you should be able to retrieve them by installing Dropbox on your gateway laptop. Though, a faster way to confirm is to log in the Dropbox web interface (https://www.dropbox.com) through a web browser.

Cheers

JimmyInTN
Explorer | Level 3

When I log in to the Dropbox website though, My Documents is not listed. The only things listed are a few folders I shared online with a customer I was doing work for.

Rich
Super User II

@JimmyInTN wrote:

When I log in to the Dropbox website though, My Documents is not listed.

Perhaps the folder wasn't syncing? How, exactly, was your Documents folder hosted on Dropbox? What steps did you take to do it?

JimmyInTN
Explorer | Level 3

It was so long ago, I don't remember, but I think it was when I first installed Dropbox. I know I had 2 My Documents folders. One had the dropbox logo in the bottom of the icon. The other one contained a shortcut to the dropbox one.

JimmyInTN
Explorer | Level 3

The fact that the files were not on my hard drive and that I could access them, means they are out there somewhere. I just have to figure out how to get to them. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@JimmyInTN, are you seeing your documents if you go here?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JimmyInTN
Explorer | Level 3

No. Nothing is listed.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JimmyInTN, I'm assuming you've also checked locally on the device, right? 

If I were you, I'd search for some example file names using the File Explorer, to see if you can find anything there. 

While you're at it, please feel free to check your events page, just to get an idea of your account's activity. Let me know if you see anything related to the missing files there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    JimmyInTN Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?