cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Some files can't be moved" error when moving Dropbox folder to a new drive

"Some files can't be moved" error when moving Dropbox folder to a new drive

bryn1
New member | Level 2

I have an internal 3TB HDD with my Dropbox folder on it (just Dropbox). I have had warnings and seen behavior that indicate it may be shortly about to fail. I have bought and installed a replacement 4TB SSD with the intention of transferring Dropbox to that drive. The process should be simple using the 'move folder' function, but every time I try it gets so far and then a error message pops up saying some files can't be moved.  This is frustrating, I can't seem to root out the problem, there is enough capacity on the new drive. Is there an alternative method for moving the Dropbox folder? Can I move it manually / clone the current drive, change the drive letter of the new drive to match and re-index the new folder location?

It is starting to feel like the only solution is to remove the existing drive and force Dropbox to restore everything from the cloud to the new drive, but I have over 2.2TB of data synced, so it will take a long time.

2 Replies 2

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @bryn1, and welcome to our Community.

Are all the files in your current Dropbox folder fully synced/set to 'available offline'?

I'd suggest right-clicking on the Dropbox folder itself and choosing 'make available offline', to make sure everything is synced and then try to move the folder again, to see if that helps.

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

itahoki
Explorer | Level 3
To move your Dropbox folder to the new SSD, pause Dropbox syncing and manually copy the folder from your old HDD to the new SSD, ensuring all files are included. Disconnect the old HDD, assign the new SSD the same drive letter as the old HDD, and then resume Dropbox syncing. This method should avoid errors and allow Dropbox to re-index the new location seamlessly.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

itahoki Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?