cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opting-in to dropbox beta after previously opting out?

opting-in to dropbox beta after previously opting out?

roverdb
Helpful | Level 6

Months ago when the Dropbox app initially prompted me to try out the new beta based on Mac OS Fileproviderd I said No because I was too busy and couldn't risk the possible complications of moving my Dropbox folder. However, I am currently less busy, so now seems like a better time to try this out. However, I'm not sure how to opt back in to this. It seems like Dropbox sees that I'd previously said no, so its not giving me the option of opting back in. Is there any way to reset this? I've deleted Dropbox.app and all system preferences, reinstalled from the most recent beta, but I don't see any migration happening. I have Early Releases enabled but this doesn't seem to make a difference. 

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

@roverdb wrote:

However, I'm not sure how to opt back in to this. ... I have Early Releases enabled but this doesn't seem to make a difference.

If you have early releases enabled and you've installed the beta, then you've already opted-in to the beta channel. There's nothing else to do.

I've deleted Dropbox.app and all system preferences, reinstalled from the most recent beta, but I don't see any migration happening.

That's not how it works. Installing the beta doesn't immediately migrate your account to the new update for Mac. Dropbox is pushing it out slowly over time. When your computer is ready to receive the update, it will get it.

roverdb
Helpful | Level 6

I don't think so. I got a prompt on my computer which essentially said "now is your chance to try the new experimental version of dropbox. But this requires that you are ok with moving your Dropbox content to a different directory on your computer. are you ok with this?" I said no because that wasn't a good idea at the time (In November or whenever it happened). But now the timing is better, so I'm wondering how to get that dialog to pop up again or if I just missed my chance. But I highly doubt that Dropbox will just move our content without asking even when the update is eventually rolled out to the general public. So there needs to be some way of giving users a "migrate now" button in the Dropbox app. 

Rich
Super User II

@roverdb wrote:

... I'm wondering how to get that dialog to pop up again ...

You can't. As the computer is eligible, it receives the notification.

But I highly doubt that Dropbox will just move our content without asking even when the update is eventually rolled out to the general public.

I'm not on a Mac but I think that's exactly what's happening. There are many people that have posted here about Dropbox just moving the Dropbox folder to the new required location.

roverdb
Helpful | Level 6

It seems unlikely that Dropbox's policy and Mac OS' permissions would allow for an application to just move files and create new folders without a user's consent. Probably more likely that the people who are talking about this didn't read the fine print when they got the popup on their dropbox app? Anywho it would be nice if I could get that popup again since I have some extra time to let my computer crunch all that info. If there is anyone out there who knows of a trick for this that would be very helpful - unless saying "no" set some flag on my account that can't be disabled. (edit: I assume Mac OS requires an additional layer of consent apart from whatever is set up in a user's Dropbox account)

roverdb
Helpful | Level 6

It looks like if you hold option in the Mac Dropbox.app control panel on the Account tab you get an option - "Reset File System Warning options" - maybe this will do this trick. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @roverdb, I hope you're doing well! 

Full support for macOS 12.5 and higher has started rolling out, as you already know. 

Now, based on what you mentioned, can you try to join our private beta, and turn on early releases, to see if you'll receive the notification again? 

You can also keep up to date with what is supported on macOS 12.3 and higher here.

Thank you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    roverdb Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?