cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't stop indexing on Mac

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

383 Replies 383

PaoloCaMe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Buon pomeriggio,

è da circa 4 giorni che la sincronizzazione con l'app Dropbox non funziona più correttamente.

I file rimangono in locale con un punto esclamativo e appare la scritta "Indicizzazione in corso..."

Esattamente da quando ho installato la nuova versione del S.O. Mac OS 14.0 (23A344)

Grazie

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Ciao @PaoloCaMe, grazie per aver portato questo alla nostra attenzione.

Potresti confermare il numero di versione dell'applicazione desktop Dropbox passando il mouse sulla piccola icona Dropbox, accanto al tuo WiFi nella barra dei menu?

Inoltre, utilizzi il nuovo macOS per File Provider, in cui il percorso Dropbox viene spostato su CloudStorage?

Tienimi aggiornato e partiremo da lì!

PS: ho allegato una traduzione automatica della mia risposta sopra. Ci scusiamo per eventuali errori che potresti trovare.

--

Hi @PaoloCaMe, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you confirm the version number of the Dropbox desktop application by hovering over the little Dropbox icon, next to your WiFi in the menu bar?

Also, do you use the new macOS for File Provider, where your Dropbox path is moved to the CloudStorage? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

PS: I've attached an automated translation of my response above. Apologies for any mistakes you might find.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

control_region
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi all,

I've fixed the issue. I restarted my computer and let dropbox start indexing again. Then I used the dropbox icon in my quick access bar to sign out of dropbox completely. Waited a little and then restarted my dropbox by signing in again. This began a whole other round of updates for all my files, but once finished, the dropbox issue is gone. I can now access all my files the way I did before. I did have to reissue it permission (through system settings) to allow it to access and make changes to HD.

Hope this helps someone,

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

@control_region my I inquire whether logging out has resulted in any deletions in the Dropbox folders on the computer? I'm just concerned about the consequences of logging out. Thank you!

control_region
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@clourdes

I lost the work I had been doing on some files on another computer when the files resynced. So, I would same the work you have done since the issue started to a different folder not on dropbox before logging out. Then when it's all synched up again, transfer the files back to dropbox.

PaoloCaMe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OK, dropbox version: 183.4.7058

Yes the file storage is /Users/XXXuserXXX/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

Regards,

P

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

@control_region I understand your concerns. I'm not quite clear on the dynamics of what happens locally when logging out, and until then, I'm not sure if I want to proceed, potentially risking my work.

It surprises me that there hasn't been an update from Dropbox to address this issue; it seems quite evident that it's some sort of bug.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Victor28, let's see what we can find together on this!

Could you also confirm if your Dropbox folder is located in CloudStorage? 

Also @PaoloCaMe & Victor, could you clarify the app's precise syncing status as we speak, and how long it's been like that?

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Good morning, after updating to MacOS Sonoma, something went wrong with my DropBox installation (version 183.4.7058). Right after the reboot, DropBox started re-indexing all the files. But then - I'm not sure when - at some point, it stopped. It might have been caused by a standby that occurred after a certain amount of time; I can't say for sure. The bottom line is that DropBox is no longer able to synchronize.

Here's what I've already tried:

• Restarting my Mac several times.
  • Closing the DropBox app and its instances through Activity Monitor, including restarting Finder.
  • Checking permissions for Privacy and Accessibility.

I haven't logged out and logged back in yet, as suggested in other threads. I haven't done it because I'm afraid of losing files that haven't been synchronized correctly, as it happened to someone here on the forum.

In the screenshots, you can see how an unsynchronized file appears in Finder, in contrast to one that was correctly (previously) synchronized.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 alle 09.39.45.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-03 alle 09.39.53.jpg 

In this other screenshot, you can see what I see inside the DropBox app.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 alle 09.40.06.jpg

Does the DropBox team have any information about this issue with Sonoma?

Thank you.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cloudres, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We've not received reports about similar issues to what you've described. 

Have you considered backing up the files that didn't sync previously outside of the Dropbox folder, and then resume syncing in the app?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jpglutting Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?