cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't stop indexing on Mac

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

383 Replies 383

bosssdr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have the same problem that @cloudres and @elkcilb. Also I was does the same steps but I haven't solution.

Josephus F.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can't make it work either on my MacBook Air- Sonoma 

Teddy73
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

It is almost one month that I haven't been able to use Dropbox.

I'm becoming very tired of this situation ðŸ˜”

AG2020_1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The same thing is happening to me.

I restarted, reinstalled, logged out. Dropbox on my mac (OS 14) is indexing since 3 days. My PC (same account) does not have problems.

Best,

Andrea

RemonR
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I have been chatting and e-mailing with Dropbox-support:

Dropbox engineers are aware of the problem and are working on a solution.

Heybigmac
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

🤣 @ Dropbox is working on it. 

matthi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi everybody,

I was just about updating to Sonoma when a lucky thought brought me here first.

As i gather from 24 pages over 4 weeks in this thread, Dropbox officials here provide poor help and don't really seem to have a clue, although betas of Sonoma have been around  for considerable time now.

After reading here I contacted friends with Macs including Dropbox, and what shall I tell you - everybody seems to have this problem.

Least thing Dropbox could do is issuing an email to all of their customers with this information:

- Don't upgrade MacOS till we have a solution for a serious matter.

- If you dare to do so inspite of the fact that there's danger of losing some or all of your data stored with us, care to create a backup of all files you would have entrusted us with on an external drive.

What a nuisance - provided by a wordwide renowned company dealing with the most sensitive stuff computers are meant for: data.

moodstudio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem. After the Sonoma Update, Dropbox didn't sync data and after deinstalling the APP, its imposible to reinstall. Lucky to put o date didn't do the update on the MAC Book! 

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Has anyone happened to try updating to MacOS Sonoma 14.1? The update was released yesterday.

Konigi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @cloudres, I updated to macOS 14.1 yesterday and indeed... it's not fixed. So my prediction was wrong here!

@matthi: you're right, I am puzzled by why Dropbox is not reaching all its Mac customers, telling them not to upgrade (as they did previously on a certain 12.X update) or do so at their own risk. The communication level is quite poor this time. A simple pop-up on Macs would have done the job.

@CHRISTIAN ARCOS: no, I am not a Dropbox employee. I am a user like we all are here, experiencing the same issue as you do. It's not because I emitted the hypothesis that the issue may be due to Apple that I am defending Dropbox in this case.

Programming is complicated. Betas don't allow to fix all the issues. What is particularly disappointing is Dropbox's lack of communication.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jpglutting Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?